Thursday 4 April 2013

Review of my running accessories

And finally, a review of my running accessories such as belts and bottles!


Ronhill 600ml hand held water bottle
The handheld strap is really comfortable, adjustable and easy to hold.  It has a pocket but only a small one, hardly big enough for one small gel or a few jelly babies.  But I wasn't impressed with the water bottle itself, which leaked.  I had to buy a new bottle from Tesco which fitted the strap.  Now the bottle doesn't leak, I quite like this bottle as the strap is better than the Hilly one so I prefer to use this when i don't need an big pocket to carry more gels.















Hilly 600ml hand held water bottle
The bottle has survived, unlike the Ronhill bottle!  The strap is not quite as nice to hold though, as there is a buckle on the adjustable strap that digs into my hand a little.  But it has a good sized pocket for a couple of gels if you don't mind adding extra weight.  The pocket on mine is hi-vis pink but think you can get black or blue as well!  It also comes with a tiny ID tag you can fill in.















Nathan 330ml sprint water bottle
This is a really cute and easy to carry bottle.  It is nicely shaped due to the way your thumb goes through the strap, you can hold it whilst your hand is relaxed.  It has a good sized pocket, and could fit keys, ID, gels etc (although if you're carrying this bottle you would probably only be doing a short run and therefore have no need for gels).  There is also a tag to write your ID details and emergency phone number.















iFitness Mini running belt
Really great running belt.  It doesn't bounce or move about and is comfortable (I wear it across my hips, quite low down rather than around my waist).  The bag is stretchy and can hold my iphone, credit cards, one large gel or 2 small gels, plus spare hairband and painkillers.  However if it's over filled it will start to move about.  The belt is wide, fully adjustable and does not move about unless you try and stuff too much into the bag.  I sometimes use the running belt to tuck my gloves or hat under to carry them if it suddenly heats up.  It doesn't come with any extras such as gel loops or race-bib clips though.  I have 2 of these.











iFitness Ultimate Race Belt
Looked great in the shop but sadly it was totally unsuitable for me.  The belt was less stretchy than the mini belt and the bag was larger and of a neoprene material.  It ended up sitting too high round my waist and then bouncing up and down.  The neoprene material wasn't as stretchy as the mini belt and I even had trouble closing the zip when trying to fit my phone and car keys in it.  A shame it didn't fit (I took it back) as it looked promising - I wanted it as it also included loops for gels and race-bib clips and I was impressed with the Mini, but this didn't quite cut it.













Saucony running gloves with USB light
These are a good buy in the sale.  Very comfy and warm enough for very cold weather - 2 layers, a soft thin inner layer and a water-resistant outer later.  Looked bulky but really they are not and it is still easy enough to hold a running water bottle.  Sadly one of the reasons these were so cheap was because the light had been lost so i cannot comment on that.  If it's really cold I need to wear my light running gloves inside these!  However my hands also overheated quite quickly if it got too warm.













Karrimore Run gloves
A cheap pair from Sports Direct, but do the job for cool weather runs.  They are fairly comfortable (a bit loose fitting and the band round the wrist is a bit tight) and a rather thin material so best for autumn and cool spring days - I wore them in the winter once or twice and my hands just froze.  They are hi-vis yellow with some reflective logos on them.  There's no extras like water-resistance or grippy palms although there is a tiny pocket in the palm for a key (which i haven't used).

No comments:

Post a Comment