Thursday 4 April 2013

Chilly but good Wednesday tempo run

So it's apparently spring but who would know??  It's still freezing out there and even got a few tiny flakes of snow as I was riding to work this morning!
At least it is now much lighter in the evenings.  I did my usual 8.3 mile mid-week run last night and it was great to finish it in actual daylight!  I'll now be able to do some more interesting routes out along the country lanes which are normally really dark in the winter (and taking a head torch annoys me).

Anyway last night's run went well, set off at a strong pace and managed to keep this up.  Got the 2nd-fasted time for this route, just 30 seconds off my PB which was set 2 weeks ago so pleased with how it went.
Worked hard on the hills but on the downhills I didn't speed up but just used the time to go at an easier effort level, perhaps if I'd kept the same effort on the downhills I would have scraped a PB, but hey I'm tapering now and don't want to risk any injuries to the knees!

It was colder than I thought and had to wear my full length tights and gloves (although stayed with the tee-shirt).  I've pretty much only run in tights since October and I'm not used to my shorts (I wore them to circuits a few weeks ago and they are a lot looser round the waist than i remembered) so I hope either the weather for the London Marathon is cool enough to wear tights or I'll need to get in some runs wearing shorts in case we suddenly get a heatwave on the day...  At least my new trainers now seem fine, I bought them about a month ago ready for the marathon - and on my first medium-distance run I got a blister and panicked!  I'd bought the same model of shoe as last time but they had upgraded it from the 2012 version. Thought that there was something that was part of the upgrade that did not suit my foot and that I'd have to go back to wearing my worn out trainers I bought last August!  But now they have been worn in a bit they seem fine.

My hair is now just about long enough to tie back in a proper (tiny) ponytail!  No more hair creeping out of the clips and getting in my eyes!

Also went for a short swim at lunchtime - unfortunately Tri-Force only have use of the pool at this time during the term time and not over the University holidays.  Plus i've been told we might not have it over the summer term this year either at that time which will be a shame as I find the short Wednesday coached swims really useful and convenient.  I went for a swim anyway but as it's the holidays they had closed off a third of the pool for the kids, so the pool length was only 17m which is a pain.

Today is mostly a rest day, but it will be fairly busy.  I cycled to work but have finished at lunchtime as I have taken the afternoon off for the Bodyflight Challenge which starts tonight!!  So am getting my stuff ready to go up to Bedford tonight.  We have registration and a practice session tonight and then the competition over Friday and Saturday so it should be really good fun!!  There might be a few other marathon runners competing as well so no doubt the topic of VLM and training will come up a few times!

Total Training (Wednesday)

8.3 mile run (1hr 22 mins)
35 minutes swimming

No comments:

Post a Comment