Monday 8 April 2013

Croydon Half Marathon

So after the excitement and adrenaline of the Bodyflight World Challenge came the Croydon Half Marathon this evening (Sunday 7th April).  With just 2 weeks to go before the London Marathon, I have been starting to taper and the half would be the last run of any real distance before the marathon.  To be honest, the first week of the taper didn't feel any different physically (I just knew in my mind that I was tapering) as I was tired from the 20 miler and still did the same distance recovery run and mid-week tempo run.  I did however have to miss a swimming session, but the Bodyflight weekend was tiring so didn't really have much of a rest day at all.   Even cutting the distance from 20 to 13 miles wasn't that different as I had been following a similar pattern throughout Feb and March anyway (doing 18-20 miles regularly, or a HM every 2nd or 3rd week).  So it probably won't feel like I am really recovering until next weekend, where I just get to do a 10K instead of another 15mile+.

Got up early to get the 7am train into London, I was a bit concerned about finding the place as had never been to Croydon at all and the race was a small event in a local cricket club, unlike the other big London races where they have taken place at a massive venue such as the O2 or in one of the royal parks.  But I needn't have worried as it was very easy to find - train went straight through to Croydon, then a short tram ride and it was sign posted from the tram stop to the club.  There were plenty of other runners on the tram so it was easy to follow the crowd!

I'd not looked at the elevation of the course so although know the route was two laps, I had no area how hilly it would be.  I sort of assumed it would be quite flat being in London, but was very wrong!  First surprise was a steep walk up a hill up to the venue, and seeing race signs and cones along the road so knew this would be the last half mile of the race!  Also chatted to a few people when i got there who said it was very undulating.  I don't mind a bit of this - the New Forest 20 would make any race seem easy now - but I knew it would feel tough compared to Reading and Bath.

It was a really good day for a run, blue skies and a nice temperature - not too cold or warm and finally felt like spring.  I'd at last got a chance to wear my shorts and charity vest that I was expecting to were for the marathon.  There were roughly 500 people taking part and it looked like many of them were also preparing for London.  Saw a lot of people with brand new charity vests!  The route was mainly along residential streets with closed roads, and then along the footpaths for stretches along the main roads.  There were very few actual spectators, except for around the finish line, along there were quite a few people out and about who supported us.  The marshals were very good and friendly.  It's always nice when there are more people out and about in the good weather - loads of people stayed around afterwards and sat on the grass by the finish line, which makes a big difference.  When i finished, I also had a cup of tea and ate the food from my goody bag just by the finish line to cheer other runners through.

The route was more challenging than I expected.  I set off at a good pace, took it easy for the first mile and then got into a fairly steady pace of around 10:40 min miles up to about mile 5.  However think my pace varied a lot after that and eventually had slowed to an average of 11 min miles but with the effort level of a much faster pace!  There were several long and/or steep climbs, but also a nice, long straight down hill of over a mile which was very nice.  As it was two laps, we did this twice.  It did take it out of me, particularly the final mile which was mostly up hill, it was only at the 200m to go sign that it finally became flat again!  Finished with a time of 2:24, just under my time for Reading, which was to be expected as it was a tapering run anyway (I don't think I've done any serious HM's this year at all - they have all been rest weeks or tapering runs!).

What I really enjoy about many races, including this, but it can happen in both small and huge races as well, are the remarkable individual achievements you see with some people.  Most us us will either try and get round, or perhaps beat a previous time, maybe even aim for a good for age entry.  But I do feel moved when you meet people who really shine as they perhaps have other challenges to face compared to the rest of us.  For example, during today's race, I recognised a lady I seen seen in a previous race who is blind.  She was running with a guide and for part of the race I was running very close to them and could hear them talking to each other.  They were giving each other instructions but also chatting as well.  They got a huge cheer at the finish line!  I've also seen soldiers with full bergens and gear running the Loch Ness marathon, and a large group of squaddies doing the Bath Half, not to mention all the crazy charities runners who run in huge, cumbersome costumes, or the guy in the Great North Run with a with fridge (yes, as in the kitchen fridge) strapped to his back.  Respect!!

I can't say i finished this race strong, as that final mile was so tough I had to walk part of it, and managed barely the slightest of sprints at the final 100 meters!  The runners were very spread out at this point and was mostly on my own, so did get a good cheer!  It was nice to have beaten the Reading time, even though it was still a very modest time, and was overall quite a tough race but was very glad I'd done it.  Only thing I am now worried about is my charity vest, which, just as I remember from the Loch Ness marathon, is that it is too big and rubs.  After 5 miles it was irritating and after 10 I could hardly stand it.  My skin is actually red and sore from it.  I have asked for a different size and I am really hoping it will fit better, as I am not sure what to do otherwise.  My other option I guess would be to either wear several plasters, or print the charity logo on a piece of paper and pin it to one of my own vests.

It was my sisters' birthdays that day, so a great excuse to go home and eat birthday cake.  We also all went out for a meal in the evening so had a nice big pizza, loads of sides and plenty of chocolate pudding.

Total training

13.1 miles - Croydon Half Marathon

No comments:

Post a Comment