Friday 26 April 2013

London Marathon - what a day!

The day of the London marathon proved to be one of the most amazing and toughest days of my life, a  real roller coaster of emotions.  All the months of training and build up were very much worth it in the end.  It didn't go perfectly, but that just means there's more to learn from for next time!

Anyway so I got to the station just before 7am (thanks Dad for the early lift!) and headed off into London.  Nearly everyone on the train was a runner or a supporter - easy to tell by either the running gear, the timing tag on their shoes or the red Virgin bags we were all issued to put our kit in.  There was a lot of nervous energy in the air and unlike a normal morning on the train, we all nodded or said good morning or good luck to each other.

I arrived at London Bridge where me, Audery, Dennis and Shell had planned to meet up - we were all raring to go and couldn't wait to get started!  It was great arriving at the start of the race with friends, it made such a difference to the day.  Took the train to Blackheath and joined the thousands of people off to the Blue Start, which we could see marked by a large blue blimp and blue entrance gantry (the red and green starts were also marked in the distance by blimps).  It was like a mass exodus from the station and heading up the road - there were 3 trains backed up on the platform full of runners!

At the start we said goodbye to our supporters as it was runners only from now on.  The blue start is a large, secure area with baggage buses around the perimeter, rows of loos, marquees and a huge television screen showing the live events going on.  Helicopters hovered overhead filming the three starting points and we could see on the big screens how huge this event really was.  There was a lot of extra security after Boston, with police and sniffer dogs everywhere.  

It was a sunny, fairly warm morning and most people were sitting around on the grass, sorting out their kit.  It was quite funny to see everyone look so chilled out and relaxed, like we are all at some festival - but really we're all here to run over 26 miles.  I got my kit sorted and took the rest of my stuff to the baggage bus, then the group of us took some photos of each other and wrote our names on our bibs (and in my case, on my arm!).  We also got the chance to watch the beginning of the elite women's race on the big screen, which started at 9am.  I always felt a bit sad for the elite women as they don't get to run with the masses and the big crowds aren't out yet!  Later as I was watching the highlights they talked about runners who could get into the elite start but some chose to run with the masses instead (both men and women) as they got the crowd support.

Finally at about 9.45am we headed off to our pens to get ready to go. Dennis and Audery headed off to the start pens a little closer to the start and Shell and I were a bit further back (me, pretty much at the back with the 5 hour group!).   It was really well organised, very clear as to where to go and, no confusion or hanging around too long.  My plan was to follow the second to last 4:58 pacer but if things went wrong I would follow the run/walk pacer who was the last pacer aiming for a time between 5:15 and 5:30.  I really wanted to get a sub 5 hour time (my first marathon was 5:05) and I was certain I could do it.  

Crossing the start line was fantastic!  There was such an electrifying atmosphere and I could hardly believe I was finally running in the London Marathon!   There were big crowds and even hot air balloons along the side of the roads, and people were out cheering by the thousands.

Set off at a steady pace with everyone else following the pacer.  To be honest, even at such an early stage where the pace felt very easy i did feel it was a bit too fast for the marathon.  But I was determined that I would be able to see it through.  The pace was a bit all over the place at first as it was still very crowded and people had yet to settle into their rhythm.  Didn't see anyone walking yet, though!

As we approached mile 7, we saw the first major landmark, Cutty Sark.  This was incredible - the crowds were the biggest so far and the noise was deafening!!  I felt like a rockstar when people cheered my name!

By mile 10 I realised I had been optimistic with my time and that the current pace was too fast for the marathon.  I watched in disappointment as the pacer stretched further and further away from me.  I tried to catch up very slowly by aiming for people slightly in front to overtake but I was starting to wear myself out.  I dropped back on the pace or i'd be paying for it big time later on.  It sucked to realised i was not going to get under 5 hours and that i may have gambled away my chance of a PB as well.  But I had told myself that whatever my time i would still be very happy to have been able to run this famous marathon and finish it.

Just after mile 12 we saw the next famous landmark, which turned out to be one of the highlights of the route.  We turned a sharp right and in front of us was Tower Bridge!  I felt fantastic running across here and the crowds were thicker than ever!  How many times do you get to run across Tower Bridge on closed roads??  There were loads of TV cameras along here and people were being interviewed.

I was still on a high from Tower Bridge when i passed the half way point, and shortly after the Shelter charity cheering point.  Here at last I saw my family who had come to watch!  They gave me a huge cheer!  It was also thrilling seeing the faster runners doubling back along the same stretch on the opposite side of the road having already run through the Isle of Dogs and were now passing mile 20 and on the home run.

After the high of crossing the half way point, came a bit of a low as I looked at my watch and pace band saw I was no longer on track for a 5 hour time and since there was no way i'd get a negative split, the time second half was going to be slower still.  Again I told myself it didn't matter, what was done was done and it was just about finishing.  The next 5-6 miles were emotionally tough as you've run a long way but still have a lot further to go.

I don't remember too much about miles 14-20, other than feeling the sun really heating up and getting too warm.  I had to take on a lot more water and at times, when there was no cloud or shade, felt slightly dizzy.  I was so used to doing all my training runs in the winter and very cold spring so this sudden warm weather was quite challenging.  Only three weeks before the marathon, there'd been snow on the ground and I was running in tights and two layers of tee-shirt!  Because of the heat, I needed to start putting in a few short walks which i'd time and allow myself about 30 seconds at a time.  I'd use this time to walk through the showers (or hose pipes) to cool down, take a gel or sort out anything that was bothering me like my sunglasses steaming up.  What I do remember well was finally coming into Canary Wharf and looking right up at the skyscrapers.  Never been up this close to them before - it was quite a sight!

At mile 20 the worst happened, and I had to stop - and "go".  Never had to do this in a race before and was really annoyed especially with the queues!  It probably added 4-5 minutes of extra time but at least i felt a lot better afterwards.  I thought I'd planned my diet carefully the day before but something had decided that it was not going to get along with my stomach that day - proof that even the best laid plans often go stray!

By mile 21 it had clouded over and was a little cooler.  Now I felt better, I was able to cut out most of the walks and run at a slow but steady pace again.  But the emotions of the day were coming out and I spent a good few miles sobbing and feeling the tears running down my face (glad I had sunglasses on).  Even the charity runner's stories and photos on their vests were getting me upset!

At mile 23 we went through a tunnel, which had been taken over by Luzocade to be turned into the "tunnel of yes".  There were no spectators here which was in some ways quite nice for a bit as there was no pressure and people could walk if they needed.  It was good to know there was only a 5k left to run.

The final few miles were a blur.  I remember very little expect seeing my family again at mile 25 and the London Eye.  There were a few times when i had to walk and I really needed to stretch out my calves which got very tight.  When running, I tried taking very short, quicker strides.  At some point in the last 5k I saw one of the run/walk pacers who said he was going to come in at just over 5:20.  So decided to follow him.  This was great and I wishes I had seen him before as he set a good steady pace but every few minutes allowed 10-15 seconds of walking before returning to a jog.  Although it felt naughty to walk at all at this late stage the pace was well planned as after regular very short walks I could always achieve a slightly faster jog. At the final part of the Embankment you turn right before Big Ben and run the final mile towards Buckingham Palace.  This was another unforgettable moment because the finish line is so close (yet so far!) and I saw Dennis, Brian and the others calling out my name and waving to me!  Great bit of motivation at that final stage!

The final 800 meters is a real tester as you do two right turns in front of Buckingham Palace but each time you expect the finish line to be right after the turn.  It was very frustrating to see a huge banner spanning the road which you assume is the finish but is in fact the 26 mile marker - with 385 yards to go!  But at long, long last it came closer and closer like some kind of ground rush, and I hardly realised it when was finally crossing the finish line!

Felt so good to finally finish!  The next few moments were very surreal as I slowed down and realised what I'd just done.  Nearly started crying again but managed to turn it into a huge smile of relief instead and hobbled over through the finishing gates where they remove your timing chip and put the medal round your neck.  I couldn't believe I finally had my own London Marathon medal!  I walked slowly up the Mall, getting my official finisher's photo taken, getting a goody bag and collecting my baggage.  Again, all very well organised - it was crowded but things went smoothly.  I have had to wait for half an hour to get my bags back at some races but here they gave it to you as you walked through which meant you didn't have to wait and could get your warm clothing on just minutes after finishing.

The meet and greet was a bit mad though and very overwhelming.  I needed to find the Royal Horseguards Hotel where Shelter were putting on a race reception, but I had no idea where to go.  Luckily they had volunteers out at the finish looking for stray runners, so one of the girls took   me back to the hotel.  It was a lovely reception - everyone cheered when a runner arrived - and I got a massage, a shower and food and drink (although i didn't feel like eating much food).  It was great to sit down and my family where there as well.

A bit later I hobbled over to the pub where Dennis, Shell and Audrey were celebrating with Brian, Viki, Maria, Richie, Martina (sorry i hope I haven't forgotten anyone?!) and we had a few drinks!  So glad to meet up with the others afterwards as they really made my day!  You guys rock and thanks so much for your support!!

So i came in with a time of 5:21:30, no PB this time but I was still so thrilled to have finished and felt very blessed that I had been given the opportunity to run London.  Not many people get to say they have run a marathon, let alone London so whatever my time I am truly grateful and a very happy bunny.




No comments:

Post a Comment