Saturday 20 April 2013

Expo and Registration

It's come round quickly - the marathon is tomorrow!  I am thinking back to last summer when I found out I had a charity place with Shelter.  I was in Elsinore with the BCPA, it was the middle of the night and was still a bit jet lagged so couldn't sleep.  I ended up reading my emails and saw one from Shelter offering me a golden bond place!  Then in September, 3 days before I was about to run the Loch Ness Marathon, I got successful in the ballot too, even better!  This was great as I could now chose to run for more than one charity and didn't have to worry about a  high sponsorship target.

Had a really good couple of days.  Did my last run on Thursday, a very gentle 2 miles!  Hardly felt like a run at all!  Friday i went down to the ExCel in London to do the registration and pick up my running number.  Even being on the DLR was exciting because you could just tell that almost everyone is a runner, all getting ready for the same thing.  It was busy but not packed at the expo, and I immediately got my number and timing chip.  It's official!  Nothing holding me back now.

Went round the expo for a few hours.  Probably not a good idea for my credit card given the amount of goodies on offer.  Adidas had an enormous area, selling their entire VLM range and pretty much everything else!  I couldn't resist and treated myself to a few VLM 2013 tops and a jacket.  Won't wear them just yet though, I'll save them for when I've finished.I also visited the Shelter stand to say hello, and they gave me some tee-shirts for my family to wear tomorrow.

I also went back to the expo today, to meet Shell, Audrey and Dennis who were also registering.  It was much busier today, but had an even better and exciting vibe.  We all got some great photos of each other posing!

All set now, I've packed my stuff and laid out my gear for tomorrow.  Trainers, socks, iPod, watch, hair bands are on the table.  Shorts, and vest top are hanging up on the peg.  The running number is attached, as is the black ribbon we are all wearing as a show of solidarity with Boston.  Gels, water bottle, Lucozade, gels, sunglasses and stuff for after the race are all packed in my backpack.

Had a baked potato for dinner, and am going to watch Doctor Who and then have an early night.  Probably won't be able to sleep though - it feels like I'm a kid again on Christmas Eve.  The nerves haven't started yet, it's just pure adrenaline right now!

All I need now is to trust God that this will be an excellent race, get a good night's sleep, a simple breakfast of toast, tea and a banana and then reach the start line!

Total Training

Wednesday
Cycled to work (8 miles)
Swimming 30 minutes

Thursday
2 mile run


1 comment:

  1. Good Luck Jenna,
    It's been great to follow your journey. Hope you get a good sleep and have lots of fun tomorrow :) x

    ReplyDelete