Monday 9 September 2013

Race recap: Run To The Beat - a disappointing let down

Sunday was the day of London's Run To The Beat half marathon.  I had been looking forward this one for weeks, having taken part in it last year and (overall) had a good day and a PB.I wasn't planning for a PB this time, but did hope to get in under 2.20 which would have been the best for 2013.

Last year's race was good but was frustrated by a number of organisational problems including over crowding in the venue (O2), huge queues to drop off and pick up baggage and lack of decent way-finding.  Once running however, the course was good and the crowds excellent.

So when I heard they had moved the venue to Greenwich Park and adjusted the route slightly, I was hoping for big improvements.  Still, I decided to take precautions and avoided the baggage drop by taking my own running backpack which just about fitted everything I needed (including a long sleeve top and long tights to wear before and afterwards) and a foil space blanket as we didn't get those last year.  Transport was much better as there were several train/tube/DLR stops in the area unlike the O2 which is much more difficult to reach especially if there are delays on the one tube line that goes there.  Was looking forward to the Greenwich Park start as it was the same place as the London Marathon start.

The race started at 9.45am and I wanted to be there an hour early, so tot the first train from St Albans.  At the station I got chatting to a couple of other runners, Pete and Jim, also doing RTTB.  There were quite a few people on the train - very easy to tell as we all had the same mint-green tee-shirt plus trainers on, and who else is going to be mad enough to be on the 6.22am train on a Sunday?!

I had originally planned to get off at Blackheath, as i knew the route but Pete said that getting off at Greenwich was quicker, so we went that way instead.  We got there early, about 8.15, but there were plenty of people around.  It was signposted well from the station so off to a good start.  We walked up what appeared to be mile 12 of the run course - a rather nasty hill that was tiring just walking it!  Going to be really tough later!  The park was a much better venue, as even when crowded it was easier to find your way around and there was a good atmosphere with a huge stage, music playing, a mass warm up and plenty of charity and food tents.  I put on my timing chip (which was a very annoying triathlon type that is meant to be worn on straps - however they had not included these nor any cable ties so you had to thread it through your laces.  I'd bought my own cable ties though as knew it was going to be a faff trying to undo my laces after 13.1 miles!

As there was going to music played along the course, I wasn't sure whether to bother with my iPod.  However since this is one of the only ones where they are perfectly happy for you to listen to you mp3 player ("it's all about the music!") I thought I'd make the most of it and bring it along to listen to between DJs/bands.  The three of us went our separate ways to our starting pens, I headed off the the Black start (finishing times of 2hr to 2.30).  Got there about 9.30am so I was going to have to hang around for a while.  I could't hear the music much anymore, so i listened to my iPod as the pens filled up.  They were soon very full!  Unfortunately I then saw the pacers enter the pens, and I was very close to the 2.10 pacer and a long way in front of the 2.20 which I planned to follow.  Sadly it was way to packed to try and move 100m backwards to be with the correct pacer so I would just go by my garmin instead.

Had a long wait before we were off, and as normal for a large race it was about half an hour before we got near enough the start line to start running!  But the crowds were good and I was quite excited.  The view from the start line looked very familiar although I was sure I'd never been to this exact place before.  A few moments after crossing the start line we turned through some gates and headed out into Blackheath - I looked back and realised this was the same start as the red VLM start line!!  Pretty awesome!  I'd been in the blue start earlier this year but seen so many photos of the red area as that was the largest start - which was why i had such a sense of deja vu.

First few miles were very good.  There was a nice downhill for the first mile, but I didn't go all out as it would only mean hurting later on.  The crowds were not as big as VLM (and missing a few hot air balloons and blimps too!) but still very good.  Good to be running alongside 19,000 other runners in London again!  So far so good, seemed as though the organisers had really improved on last year.

Sadly, it all changed soon after mile 4.  The route was meant to enter the Royal Artillery Barracks through the east gate, do a lap of the barrack field and then come out again through the same gate.  For 19,000 runners?!  This was total chaos - we hit a gridlock.  There is no other way to describe it other than being like the M25 on Friday night rush hour.  I was running along but had to slow right down - and saw a large group of runners in front has just come to a standstill!  I actually thought something bad had happened (being in a military area in London after what happened in Boston) and that the race was in danger.  But no, it was just poor organisation.  The gate into the barracks was far to narrow to let runners both in AND out at the some time, and queues were backing up in each direction.  The had to stop "traffic" in each direction for a few minutes at a time to let one lot through, and then switch and let the other direction exit.  Madness.  We couldn't believe it and agreed that we could kiss goodbye to our target times.

I don't normally do this during a race, but... I paused my garmin.  I wanted to only record what I'd actually run and needed to see how my pace was going as I am still in marathon training mode.  Having a 7-8 minute pause would totally skew the results.  Anyway so we were held at a total standstill for about 6-7 minutes to get into the barrack, run a loops of about 500m, and then wait 2 more minutes to get out again.  Crazy.  I'd lost about 8.5 minutes and could have run the best part of a mile in that time (I heard later some waited over 10 minutes and less seasoned runners were cramping up from the sudden standstill!).

The next few miles were like the start line again, really congested as people were all bunched up again.  I also heard later that they shut off the barrack loop and just let people go straight past - so more congestion not to mention some people didn't run the full distance.  We had another out and back loop a mile on, which was hugely crowded and I felt very sorry for the residents whose paths outside their front doors were blocked by slow runners and pedestrians were getting bumped into time and time again.

It was crowded until about mile 9, and my pace suffered.  It was still not bad, but I was wearing myself out putting in extra effort to dodge people or moving on and off the pavements.  There was one particularly hazardous stretch along a dual carriage way.  We ran this exact road during VLM, but had nearly all of the road expect a lane for emergency vehicles.  During RTTB however, we had just ONE lane of one side of the road!  For all those runners!  It was not working.  I was forced outside the cone area (i.e. into traffic) so i went and ran along the central embankment.  Took the earphones out here as there were cars trying to get through - yet being blocked by runners.  You could tell the drivers were getting just as frustrated as the runners.  They had to deal with closed/limited roads, and we'd paid £50 to endure being squeezed like sardines.  Later, as we moved off the road and onto cycle tracks, it was still busy with a lot of bottlenecks and the view was very grim going past a quarry.  Nice.  Shame they couldn't take us round Cutty Sark!

Normally I enjoy a race even if i am missing out on my target time or just running for a laugh and not worried about time.  But ever since the hold ups I had felt stressed and disappointed, and didn't really enjoy the rest of the race.  I also kept forgetting to concentrate on my gait, and now my knee feels a little sore as I was striking with the heel of my foot which is what I do when being lazy.  I felt like I spent most of the time concentrating on not getting bashed by other runners or tripping up a curb.  I ended up listening to my own music most of the way round (when safe!) as the DJs and bands were few and far between, and not very loud.  One was basically just speakers out the back of a van.  Rock and Roll Dublin was far better!

The congestion eased off at mile 9 at the O2, where you then double backed the last mile or so, although the hairpin turn meant another slow down to do the 180 turn.  Had a mainly clear run to the finish now which was better.  Went up that hill at mile 12 - it was hard work!  I ran the whole thing, but it was very steep and probably could have walked it faster!  Very good crowds here though, they were cheering on runners and we were almost at the finish.

There were two more cheeky hairpin turns though before the actual finish line, which was annoying as you got the impression they hadn't worked out the route distance accurately enough as otherwise you'd have got a nice clear run to the finish line.  Oh well - there's often a sting in the tail in many half marathons so this was nothing new!  Did manage a sprint finish though, in front of lots of applause!  Always feels good to finish!

Made out way through the finishing funnel, and was given drinks (coconut water and a bottle of normal still water) and a medal.  The coconut water was not very popular and although they appeared to be running short, no'one was drinking them and there were endless almost-full cartons on the ground.  I don't mind the coconut water so took an unused one (having paid £50 i wanted a bit of nourishment on the way home).  Felt a bit bad for taking two if they did run low though.  Heard later they gave out energy bars but ran out very quickly.

Hung around the finish area for a bit as they had Jessie J singing live.  Good for a bit and many people loved it, but I couldn't help but wonder why they spent so much of my £50 on a famous headline act and not enough on a decent, organised course.  I left fairly early, as it was getting chilly and starting to rain, and I didn't have much to keep me warm (the last thing I want right now is a cold).  Used the changing tents to pull on my tights and sort out my gear, but it was hardly ideal as one side of the marquee was completely open facing a row of portaloos!  So it was not private and here were girls trying to get changed!  It was also windy and rather dark inside.  I was very glad I did not need to get anything from the baggage drop as the queues were horrendous!  They had not improved there!  Reading comments on Twitter later I found out one of the shelving areas had actually collapsed causing danger to the volunteers and damaging people's property.  Not good at all.

I left Greenwich Park without the normal post-race high I usually enjoy, and walked down to Blackheath station, which was quite nice as it reminded me again of VLM - and the expert organisation of that race.  Had a few minutes before catching my train so i bought a milkshake as a recovery drink (tasty carbs and protein!).  My legs were getting cold and stiff so I sat on the benches on the platform with the space blanket wrapped round them like a towel.  Still another long run to do before Berlin so I did not want to delay the recover process.

On the second train back to St Albans I found myself sitting next to 2 guys also wearing medals but who had bikes with them.  Turned out they'd just finished a London to Brighton charity event and were on their way home!  We swapped stories about our respective races.  Got back to St A in the pouring rain!  I was soaked by the time I got to the car and must have looked a right sight in my space blanket and pink running tights!

It was very nice to get home and have some ice cream, pizza and a bath.

Overall not a bad day but was left feeling quite flat and disappointed it the route.  Expected a lot more after last year and they just didn't deliver.  I am not even sure which time to use - my official time, or the Garmin time which was paused whilst we stood stationary by the barracks.

Overall I doubt I will do this race again.  It promised a lot, but over a 6 year period it has failed to deliver most of what it set out to do.  This is very odd as the organisers, IMG Challenger World, are also the same as those behind the excellent London and Blenheim Palace Triathlons - which run like clockwork.  Perhaps they should stick to tri's and let Nova (those behind the Great Run event) or the Rock and Roll Marathon series do RTTB.

I am not keen on paying a large sum on money and seeing such bad organisation.

Official finish time: 2.31.09
Garmin finish time taking account of the queue:  2.22.44 at 13.1 miles

Garmin download details for 13.16 miles as recorded
Time:2:23:22
Moving Time:2:20:56
Elapsed Time:2:31:09

Avg Pace:10:53 min/mi
Avg Moving Pace:10:42 min/mi

EDIT: Due to so many complaints from runners, the organisers have said they will refund £10 to all runners.  That's something then.  Let's hope I see that!

PS - search for #RTTB on Twitter or see the facebook site for some entertaining comments on the event!

Below - image of the medal (I'll get a proper snap later but it was quite nice - big and solid feeling with a green and purple lanyard.  There's a space for an itab but I am not sure whether to fit mine as I don't trust the finish time!

Below that - Terri_Willis's image of the Woolwich barracks - runners queue to exit the gate but it was even worse trying to get in. @Terri_Willis

Bottom pic - finisher's certificate with chip time.







No comments:

Post a Comment