Friday 13 September 2013

20 Miles done! Plus tapering means time for GNR 2013!

At long, long last, the final "big" run before the marathon is done!  20 hard miles over just under 4 hours completed yesterday, with 17 days to go.  Feels really good to have got that far, as I think many runners would agree that the hardest part of running a marathon is the training.  Pretty much know that there's very little I can do in the way of training, except for recover nicely and try not to get injured or ill!

So that's 2 x 20 mile runs done, and at least 4 runs prior to that of at least 16 miles.  Most weeks with a medium run of 8-9 miles or interval training in between, plus a recovery run and cross training.

This week has been slightly odd, as I ended up doing the Run to the Beat half marathon on the day I would normally have done the final 20 miler.  I don't think it's made too much difference though as I have had to use up holiday so have taken a few days off yesterday and today to do the long run and recover in a lazy fashion.  Looking back, although I was planning to do RTTB at a fast pace (aiming for a season's best) that might have interfered with doing a decent 20 miler yesterday.  So perhaps a good thing that the race had so much congestion and hold ups - frustrating at the time, but it felt quite easy and didn't take long to recover.  Still, I'm not planning to do that again - I want a good solid 20 miler that is not sandwiched between half marathon events.

 Tuesday I was back running, 4 miles before work with a friend, always good to run with someone else and makes it more fun especially when it's early in the morning.  I probably put more effort in as if it has just been me running solo I would probably have just done 3 miles at an easy pace and called it a day but we did 4 miles.

Wednesday I took it easy and just cycled to work.  No cycling on Wednesday evenings as it's too dark now.

Yesterday was the big run.  It went well, which was great, and can see that my times have improved since the training I did for London and are roughly the same as what I was doing before Loch Ness.  Yesterday's run wasn't quite as good/fast as the previous 20, which I put down to it being too close to the RTTB.  The first 5 miles were a bit slower than expected, even though they are mostly uphill, but got the pace going after about an hour of running.  All good through the cross country part, through the park and onto the long cycle track into Hatfield. Didn't manage to get any miles under 11 minutes though this time.  Started feeling the pain at about mile 15, and was daydreaming of food, such as fruit and orange juice!  Just before 17 miles I was running past work, and running a little low on water.  So I quickly nipped into one of the buildings where there is a water fountain and had a good drink and a gel.

Pretty much decided what I'm going to wear for the marathon as well.  Basic shorts if hot, and Nike tights if cold (shorts will be more likely).  Then either the Shelter vest if warm or Adidas Supernova tee-shirt if slightly cooler.  I will definitely take my hydration backpack, but I have still not found a way to prevent the straps rubbing the back of my neck so that is always sore after a long run.  I ordered a high-necked trail tee-shirt last night to wear with it to provide some protection from the chaffing, but think it will be a bit too warm for the marathon.

Final 3 miles were tough but persevered as I was on for a sub 4 hour time.  Bit of a slog up a slight incline that is barely noticeable when walking but feels like it goes on forever at this stage in the game, and the ground was very rough underfoot as well.  Again, the distance on the Garmin seemed to clock up the final mile so slowly, I was shocked when I looked down having just crossed a road and saw I had passed 20 miles!

Walked the rest of the way home very slowly with a couple of pauses along the way - I was totally spent!  So good to get home and rest!  Needless to say I skipped the Tri-Foce swimming  session in the evening as I don't think I'd have managed much!

Time for 20 miles:  3.58.34
Garmin link here http://connect.garmin.com/activity/375015807#.UjM8WzwAWys.facebook

So immediately into the house I resisted the urge to just flop onto the sofa and instead go through all the post-run rituals.  Shoes and socks off.  Backpack, sunglasses, iPod off.  Make up the recovery shake and drink (at the moment the drink of choice is a Maxifuel recovery shake, orange flavour).  Have a cold bath which apparently helps the soreness but is almost as torturous as the run itself (I lasted about 4 minutes before having a hot shower instead).  Put on Skins compression tights and a comfy tee-shirt.  Have a fried egg on toast with a chocolate milkshake.  Go to bed and crash out for an hour or so.  When woken up, try and walk around a bit but mostly spend afternoon lying on sofa watching DVDs and having a bowl of ice cream.

Today was pretty lazy as I had the day off work again.  Legs felt pretty good considering what they'd been through the previous day, so I went to the pool and had a very gentle swim.  Tomorrow I head up to Newcastle for Sunday's Great North Run, so i am about to pack for that.  Again, not planning to break any records for the GNR but it doesn't matter as it's such a good day and well organised even that I just want to run it for the atmosphere.  Second year running for Farplace Animal Rescue, can't wait to see them after the race!  Plus 50,000 other runners and the Red Arrows display is going to make for an amazing event!  It's the second year I've run it and most races have been 2 weeks before my marathons so the timing is always good too as it fits well into the taper.

Below - Memories after the 2012 Great North Run.  An epic race!  Bring it on for 2013, 2 days to go!!




No comments:

Post a Comment