Thursday 26 September 2013

3 Days to Go!

This will probably be my last blog post before the Berlin Marathon, so wish me luck!!  I only had a half day at work today so left at lunchtime, I leave tomorrow from St Pancras, taking the Eurostar/train to Berlin, and arriving tomorrow night.  Saturday I'll go to the expo and pick up my race packet!  Sunday is the big day!  I can't wait.

This week I have taken it pretty easy.  Having done the 20 miler at the beginning of September, and then another 20 and two half's in a short space a couple of weeks ago, I'm really confident about the distance.  I decided not to do a "long run" at the weekend though, instead I did a very gentle 3 mile jog round the fields on Saturday, and a sprint distance triathlon (pool based) with the club on Sunday morning.  I didn't want to over do it on Sunday though so took the triathlon pretty easy.  I also marshaled at Park Run on Saturday which was good fun and will certainly help out again soon.

On Monday I didn't do much, cycled to work as usual but didn't go swimming with Tri-Force in the evening.  Tuesday went for a run with Darren before work and did just under 5 miles, probably a bit faster than I'd have liked too so that'll be my last medium-effort run then!

Wednesday was also quite relaxed, I only cycled to work, and this morning I did a VERY easy 20 minute run with a walk to start and cool down.  It was probably under 2 miles altogether - spending longer getting ready than I did running!  I wore a new vest that I may need to wear on Sunday, along with my Camelbak, to make sure it was comfortable.

Started sorting out my stuff for Berlin including printing out the runner's guide off the internet, marking all the important points on the map and making a list of clothing to take.  Yet again I am torn about what to wear top-wise.  Every marathon I am undecided for the simple reason that it's nearly always going to be warm, which means wearing a vest, and none of my vests are that comfortable for 26 miles (and I have at least 15 in my wardrobe that I've bought over time so it's not like I haven't tried and tested many different makes!  I just prefer sleeves!).  This time I will be running with my camelbak, which chafes the back of my neck and needs to be worn over a top with a high neck.  As mentioned above I FINALLY found a high-necked running vest from TK Maxx.  Only problem is I have only jogged 2 miles in it so really hope it does the job for 26.2.  Never a good idea to run in new gear but anything must be better than the backpack taking the skin off the back of my neck for 5 hours!  Anyway hopefully it will be fine, after 18 miles I will probably not care much by that point anyway.

So now I just need to think positive and know that I've done as much training as I can.  They say 90% of running a marathon is in the training, so this will just be the icing on the cake...

No comments:

Post a Comment