Thursday 19 September 2013

Tapering

It is that weird time of marathon training call the taper.  Having done all my long runs I am just on the count down til the marathon itself, which is only 10 days away now.... eeeek!!

Been double checking my hotel booking, and the Eurostar tickets should be coming tomorrow, just need to get myself a map of Berlin and/or a travel book and try and work out how to get from the station to the hotel, and then to the expo and of course the race starting point.

I've been quite tired the last day or two and I think the 2 half marathons and 20 miler has taken it's toll.  The first week of the taper never feels any different anyway as you are just doing what you did last week, only more knackered because of the final long run.  Even though your brain knows the runs are only getting shorter, your legs do not!!  So the days I have not been running I have not managed much apart from swimming, I haven't taken the car into work instead of cycling and had lots of early nights.  Monday's swim session felt like hard work but luckily as a group we did not swim at a very fast pace so I was ok - although there was an odd moment feeling like I was about to fall asleep whilst swimming with my head under the water!!

Tuesday I was feeling a bit better and no longer sore from the GNR, and that morning went out for just under 5 miles with a fellow early bird runner.  Took the scenic route - but had I been alone I would probably have not ended up running along a main road without a footpath trying not to get hit by cars!!  Bit of adrenaline before work anyway!

Wednesday I cycled into work the short way and did another swim at the sports village, about half an hour in my lunch break.  Had a very lazy evening watching TV and trying to get an early night but ended up lying awake while the worrying side of my mind plagues me with thoughts about injuries, niggling knee, and mainly how many Euros I could afford to convert for the trip and when my tickets would arrive (they said by 7 days before travel and I'm leaving in 8 days!).

Today I drove into work again am just to about to head out of the door for a 4.5 mile run.  Glad to see it has stopped hammering it down with rain - I wanted to wait for the sun to come out at last!

No comments:

Post a Comment