Tuesday 3 September 2013

Tumble turns and morning run

So we had a quick few goes at tumble turns in swimming last night.  Results my end were rather hilarious!  I was so paranoid about hitting the wall with my head during the turn that I kept turning too far instead, usually veering off to one side while I was at it.  Hopefully we'll have a proper go at these soon!

Rest of the session was ok, although I was a bit knackered from the long run the day before so i couldn't really give it 100% - it was just nice doing a bit of active recovery.

I then went for a short (4 mile) run this morning before work.  Bit depressing that it still wasn't light at 6am when i got up, but at least it fine when I was having breakfast and cycled to the gym. I debated cycling in my running kit so I wouldn't need to bring a large backpack (plus all this nice triathlon clothing that I have plashed out on which can be used from bike to run!), but then I'd have to ride home in used running gear - which is not the most pleasant thing to do!  So I cycled in my normal gear and changed into my running kit when I got to the gym.

It was a really good run, I started off slow incase I was still sore from Sunday's long run, but felt good so got into a faster pace.  The route was a bit of a mixture - some nice bits out in the field and down the cycle track, but then then a few areas where you have to cross motorways and get held up trying to cross the road.  Dilemma - do you pause your watch at crossings?  I usually do - I feel a bit cheated if my time is slower just because I had to wait for cars, it's not my fault!  And usually in a race you don't need to stop as the roads are closed.  If I have to pause and walk, or get a stone out of my shoe or whatever I would keep the clock going though as that's my own choice.

The weather was very nice, a bit of a chill in the air but good for running, plus clear blue skies. September is very nice weather for running!  I also got to try my new running Craft skirt in action, which is really nice.  Wore it over the Nike tight shorts with a black vest for a girly look! (re the Nikes - I've never been too keen on these to be honest - they were lovely when I tried them on in the shop and very cheap but just end up riding up after a mile or two.  But my New Balance ones were in the wash).  By the way, I'm not that fussed about how I look when I'm running (who cares when you're at mile 18 and with tears and sweat over your face!!) but it can be a bit off fun to show off the latest gear and go shopping for some stylish clothes once in a while especially for a race (I swear Park Run and some of the 10ks can be a bit of a fashion show sometimes).

Total time for 4 miles was 41.29.

Oh and check out the below - a bit old but it's a screenshot I found on my phone from the iPhone app I use to log my runs.  It shows the runs (by distance) from June 12 to May 13.  You can see a nice rise and peak for the Loch Ness Marathon, and then again from January to April/May for London and Prague!  (With a nice break of very short runs during the taper or between the 2 marathons).


No comments:

Post a Comment