Friday 1 March 2013

Varied week of training and some Tunnel!

Having recovered from Saturday's long run, I was able to go out for a recovery run at lunchtime with Matt and do a swim session with Tri-Force in the evening.  The swim session was really useful as my technique had picked up a random bad habit with my arms which I quickly sorted out!  Only problem was i had eaten too soon before setting out, it's not fun swimming on a full stomach!

Tuesday, I cycled to work as it was a fairly nice but cold morning, and went to circuits in the evening.  It was an alright session but my back had been hurting all day (ongoing from an injury about a year ago) and it didn't help that every other station could include burpees, sits up and other exercises that tend to do my back in.  I skipped these and just did plank or push up instead.  The instructor knows I have to substitute some of the stations!

Wednesday was a different day.  I did not get a chance to do any of my usual training but I think 45 minutes in the tunnel counts!  I was in Reading for a meeting and so spent most of the day at Reading University or on the train or Underground!  I did however get the chance to walk back from the Uni to the station as it was a very nice day, and oh guess what?  The walk just happened to be part of the Reading Half Marathon (miles 4-5ish) on the 17th March!  I'll be back then, running the same bit through campus and town!  That part looked like quite a nice route, a good downhill part anyway and potential for a lot of spectators since it was in a fairly busy area.

Went to Bodyflight in the evening with the team and cracked on with the single A blocks!  Great fun and well well, got a few bruises to show for it!  Didn't get back til about 1am so it was a long, tiring day but worth it.

Thursday morning I was walking around like a zombie after about 4 hours sleep.  I was also starting to ache a bit!  I had a very lazy day and did very little at lunchtime - up until I got home at half five and had to get out for a run!  Usually go for the mid-week tempo run on Wednesdays but has to swap things around to go to Bodyflight. Did the same route as last week and managed quite a good run at last, 8.3 miles at 10:23 min/miles.  Felt good on that one!  It was one of those nights where the temperature was cold but not freezing and wasn't sure whether to wear gloves or not, or long or short sleeves.  Went for long sleeves but a thin top, and light gloves.  Gloves were much appreciated!  But probably a little warm for long sleeves - I kept rolling them up.  

As soon as I got back from running it was quickly have some food (veggie sausages, mashed potatoes and baked beans, with chocolate milk - the perfect post-run dinner!) and get ready for swimming!  Seriously, i was not sure if I could survive this!  I got there a bit late (although it doesn't really matter as not everyone can make it for the start time every week) and only did a quick warm up, but it was a tough session.  Was knackered and aching madly from the tunnel - obviously the tunnel uses similar muscles to front crawl as it was painful!!  I loosened off after a few lengths and the session has a fairly easy start.  Got harder through, with 600m of taking breaths every 5 strokes instead of 3!!  I slept very well that night!

Today has also been very light with just cycling into work.  Got a session with Tri-Force tonight - but it's the club AGM - no training!!  I think it might have to be a fairly early night though, as i am very tired and almost fell asleep in the staff room on my lunch break!  

Tomorrow afternoon I head up to Bath for a couple of nights for the Bath Half Marathon, which looks like a great run (although again I will take it slow and aim for 2:20 - 2:25).


No comments:

Post a Comment