Friday 15 March 2013

Looking forward to the weekend!

Feels like it has been a long week, but then on the other hand it's also flown by!  And just over 5 weeks til the London Marathon, things are getting more intense now.  There's really only 3 weekends of training left before I have to start tapering!  So last weekend was the New Forest 20 (aka Cross Country Boggy Mud Run), and now I get a "rest" week of a shorter distance so am doing the Reading half Marathon, again at a slow pace.  Looks like it will be a lot of fun, I was thinking about doing this one in fancy dress but probably left it a bit late now.  I am going to find the pacers and get between the 2:20 and 2:25 again.  The following two weeks will be 20 mile training runs (one with the Gade Valley Harriers who run marathon training runs over the spring) and then a solo run on Easter Saturday.  After that it's the tapering period so will be another half marathon (Croydon) and then a 10K (Great Ireland Run - good excuse for a long weekend in Dublin).

This week's training has gone well, it's Friday so mostly a rest day with just cycling into work.  I rode in on my mountain bike as I haven't ridden it for a while and it was also very wet and muddy.  It feels very slow now, compared to the road bike!! At least it handled the many potholes a bit better though!

Monday was mostly a rest day after the 20 milers.  There wasn't a general swimming session with TF as they were running a special session which I'd not got round to signing up for (knowing I'd be too tired to do a serious, challenging session) so i went to the sports village after work and swam for about 30 minutes.  It was quite nice to get home and have a free evening after that and an early night with a dvd!

On Tuesday i went for a short recovery run at lunchtime at an easy pace, followed by circuits in the evening with Tri-Force.  A lot of core work this week!  The only core exercise I did not struggle with was the lower back "arching" exercise, probably because seemed to use the same muscles as skydiving/tunnel flying - luckily I'm reasonably tunnel-fit right now with the challenge coming up! 

Wednesday was a short swimming session at lunchtime with TF which went well.  Apparently I was twisting my left arm at an angle as it entered the water so I tried to sort this out.  Back to the office with wet hair (normal).  Had a very good evening run after work - one of those nights were it was very cold and snowing a bit and i really didn't want to go out!  But it ended up being a very good run, best time for that route so far.  After a bad February of running where my times didn't seem to improve things are finally looking up.

Thursday was cycling into work and then a tough swimming session in the evening at the sports village!  My speed is getting a lot better but my stamina, although much improved, still needs to catch up!  A few of us in our lane took turns at being on the front (no'one to draft - so harder work), myself included, felt like an honour at first as i was no longer at the back of the pack, but it was exhausting!  Hopefully I didn't slow everyone else up... I did let a few others go in front of me towards then end!

Just got to cycle home and then rest tonight and tomorrow for the half marathon on Sunday.  I will see if I can find a bright tutu and leg warmers, it will go with my charity vest for this one and I will look like a crazy ballerina.

Total training:

Monday
Swimming 30 mins

Tuesday
2.5 mile run
Circuits with TF

Wednesday
Swimming with TF 30 mins
8.3 mile run in 1:25

Thursday
Cycle to work
Swimming with TF 60 mins/2000m

Friday
Ride to work / rest day plus about 5 minutes on the stationery bike for a Comic Relief fund raising event!




No comments:

Post a Comment