Monday 11 March 2013

New Forest 20 Race Report

Tried to keep the week reasonably light - a sort of "mini taper" before yesterday's 20 mile race in the New Forest.  Did swimming with Tri-Force on Monday, a short recovery run (in shorts and vest - it was soooo warm!  Didn't last though, we had a bit of snow today!) and circuits with TF on Tuesday.  Short swim session with TF and a decent 8.3 mile run on Wednesday, and then Thurs and Fri were very light with just a cycle into work.  Saturday didn't do much apart from go to town briefly in the car and watch dvds!

Sunday, I was up at 4.45am for an early 2 hour drive down to the New Forest.  Arrived at about 8am (although i could have got there later, as it was so cold everyone was just sitting in their cars!).  It was a small race, even though the weekend was advertised as a 2 day festival of running.  There were three events that day - a 50k Ultra, the 20 miles and a half marathon.  The 50k and 20m took place at the same time, although with the ultras setting off 30 minutes before us.  The HM race wasn't til the afternoon - when most people should be back (although there were still a few still out there!).  There were about 50 people doing the ultra, 100 in the 20 mile and 80 or so in the half, according the the race results.

It was a very tough course!!  Steep hills, long slogs up hill, wet, very cold, but what slowed us down most was the mud.  From about miles 3-6 and 13-16 (2-lap course) there was a long, muddy uphill climb on uneven trails and then a flat but VERY muddy, boggy stretch.  I'm not talking about a nice bit of mud you can slosh through if you like getting filthy, but sticky, treacle-thick, squelchy mud that almost takes your trainers off!  To avoid it, most of us zig-zagged round the worst of it and left the track completely - running through scrub, brush and low bushes, like moorland.  Not exactly easy, and certainly not a road race.  Plenty of water stations, and one of them (you passed each twice) has snacks such as jelly babies, beans, energy blocks, bars and cheesy snacks which was nice.

One challenge was no distance markers!  So had to rely on time, passing the half way/start 2nd lap, and other people's Garmins!  It was partly a very lonely, partly very friendly run, depending on if you were running near to someone or not.  The course was very spread out, and I was on my own for miles at a time.  It was also very cold, windy, and much of it was very exposed.  But when you met up with other runners, or were passed by a faster person on the next lap, everyone was chatty and/or encouraging.  I chatted with another lady who has also run Loch Ness last year, although sadly I did not see her again after mile 10 or so.  I was quite near the back of the pack for most of the first lap, but caught up with 5 or 6 later on and ran with them for a bit.

Apart from literally not being able to run through the boggy bit, I was pleased with my pace which was not fast, but I always felt strong and efficient.  The flat track/road sections were good and I kept up the pace throughout (mostly).  Had to power-walk some of the very steep hills though and when crossing the bogs we did sort of stand there for a few moments trying to work out how to get across!   Effort was less than marathon-day effort so was not aching too much and didn't experience the weird back cramps I got in Loch Ness, although the calves were rather sore from the terrain!  Energy was very good throughout, I had a Clif Block every half hour or so, and they were also giving out the same range of Clif Blocks at the feed station, so I was able to take another pack of those and it kept me going.  I found these nicer than the gels and with the blocks and jelly babies I found I didn't need the 2 gels I bought with me.  Managed to eat two blocks at the same time through so was trying to chew, swallow and breath at the same time up a hill!!  Only began to feel out of breath in the last mile or so - this was because it was not clear when I had passed mile 19 and so probably went for a strong finish too early.  Asked a marshal how far it was to the finish line and he said just around the corner by the pub, very close - well it was a good 10 minutes of uphill til I saw the correct pub so it was nearly a mile really!  Not great when you trying to scrounge that last bit of energy for the finish line!

Crossed the line, at last, with another lady and even had a smile on my face! Basic post-race goodies, but enough to keep us going - water, energy bar, jelly beans, and a tee-shirt, Sweatshop voucher and a modest medal in the goody bag (would have been nice to have the distance on the medal lol).

 Felt good having completed a 20 mile run, as it's so much more than a half but not quite a marathon.  I really wasn't expecting it to be so hilly or muddy through - it really was an off-road/trail event and should have been mentioned on the website as we were expecting roads or hard tracks under foot, this was not the case for most of the course.  But despite that, we all agreed it was an excellent challenge and glad we had done it.  Most of us were training for spring marathons anyway, and we are now looking forward to the flat, paved roads of London and Brighton, etc!

Was hoping (when I signed up) to get a sub-4 hour time, but because it was practically a trail run, my time was 4:15.  Still pleased with that though as it was an impossible race to get to my target pace, and looking forward to seeing how my next 20 mile run in 2 weeks time goes as I don't think St Albans or Hemel have many bogs to contend with!  Still expecting under 4 hours for a flat, fast 20 mile route,  and hopefully, if all goes well, a sub 5 for the marathon.

A relaxing day today - just a swim after work - and then this weekend will be the Reading Half Marathon.  Will probably be another easy pace as it is only 6 weeks til London and i want to get in 2 more 20 mile runs before tapering.  There is a training run with the Gade Valley running club which is open to all so might do that.  I hear it's hilly but on pavement at least!  The following week I will probably "treat" myself to a flat route and use that to judge my pace for London.

Sunday 10th March total training
20 miles New Forest Race: 4hours 15mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment