Monday 18 March 2013

Reading Half Marathon - Fancy dress!

Ticked off one of my running "must-do's" which was to do a race in fancy dress.  I chose the Reading Half Marathon as this was going to be another long easy run so no need to take it super seriously.  Got a ladies Iron Man costume which worked well and I got lots more cheers than usual!  It was fine to fine in - a dress which I just wore over my regular running top and tights, plus little glove/sleeve things.  There was also a mask, which I just wore on my head and not over my eyes - this was a bit annoying and nearly slipped off once or twice.  But it was fine overall and not too hot or restricting (although it was a cold day anyway).

As for the race, like all the HM's in the last couple of months I have taken things easy.  The training has generally been 1 or 2 weeks of long slow runs (12+, building up to 20) at the weekends, with every 2nd or 3rd weekend a shorter long slow runs to recover slightly.  The HM racess work well as shorter distance LSR's, as long as they are just that - slow and easy!!

BUT it was quite a challenge to accept this at first.  When i first signed up for Brighton, Bath and Reading last summer, I had images of PB after PB on their lovely flat, fast courses.  And when i entered a race I wanted to do well in it, and you get caught up in the atmosphere of getting a good time and knocking some time off your last race.  It hasn't quite been like that though!  Realistically, (and assuming I am actually training correctly) training for a marathon has meant I've had to sacrifice any decent times for the HMs, let alone PBs.  It's about distance and time running, much more endurance-based for the marathon, and not the shorter, higher-intensity of serious HM training.  If i were to go for a PB at the next HM I'd have to totally change my training and not care about the marathon. But I have to focus on the final goal, the marathon, this is the main thing.  So the HMs had to be taken as rest weeks, a break from 17-20 milers.  Having done a 20 miler race last week, no taper whatsoever for the HMs and then straight into another 20 mile next week and the following week, the long-term fatigue is starting to build up, and will probably only subside when I start tapering.  Apparently this is good for marathon training?!  As it gets you used to running whilst tired and not fully recovered!  Obviously some logic in there somewhere...

I came across this article yesterday http://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/marathon-training-mistakes-too-many-tune-up-races/ after wondering whether it was worth even signing up for races before the marathon, and pretty much confirmed what I'd thought - that doing the race is too tempting to take your eye off the marathon ball and makes you focus on secondary goals such as HM or 10k time.  Which in turn either means the full-marathon training suffers or you should not enter or care too much about HM/10K race times.  It shed a lot of light on things and I realised clearly that I should feel disappointed or frustrated with my current slow HM race times as they are nothing more than long slow training runs.  I think I have always known this in the back of my mind, but it's really tough to accept when you get the email/text from the race with your results and I think "I could have done way better - that's such a rubbish time!"  

But main reason i carry on doing the races is that they are a LOT more fun than heading out for a 13-14 mile run on your own!  People cheering, big crowds, lots of other runners, plenty of water/feed stands and, the best bit - the big ones have fantastic finishing lines in front of thousands of people!  I love that about the races!  It's also a great way to see other cities and occasionally spend a few nights on a short city break.

So Reading was, apart from the cold and loads of rain, a lot of run.  Got to catch up with Elly and Vince from skydiving who I had not since since last year (time flies...) and who i think both did very well.  Going at a slow pace meant I could just relax and enjoy the crowds, the others runners and the novelty of it all.  I would like to say a massive thank you to the spectators, it was such a horrible day and they were still out in jackets and ponchos in the pouring rain to cheer us on.  Especially the family church who has music playing and an extra drinks station set up!  Oh and the Reading University cheerleaders, and all the charity stands.  It was also a brilliant finish, running into the football stadium in front of thousands of people and across the finish line - well worth it!  

Final time was 2:24, just over 11 min miles.

Went for a recovery run today with Matt who also ran yesterday, and then got swimming in the evening with Tri-Force.  The swimming will be good for the muscles, although will probably knacker me out!  Got circuits tomorrow night but I will take the rest of the day very easy!

Total training

Sunday
Reading Half Marathon - 13.1 miles

Monday
Recovery run
Swimming with Tri-Force

Below - my Iron Girl costume!!

No comments:

Post a Comment