Tuesday 26 March 2013

Snowy Sunday Run

Well I expect most readers will know that we have had an unexpected late-March snowfall.  Sub zero temperatures and snow over most of the country.  Luckily in my area we weren't hit hard but unfortunately the Gade Valley 20 mile club run got cancelled due to ice and flooding on the route.  So I had to head out solo instead.  As I still want to get in one more 20 miler next weekend before the tapering period, I decided to make my run slightly shorter than  the club run so planned an 18 mile route which was 4 laps of the the cycle track from Hatfield to St Albans and back.  It ran the risk of being a bit boring and the water fountains and loos were a minute or two off the track, but it was scenic, flat and easily measurable so I could keep good track on my time.  It was 4 x 4.5 mile stretches (2 out and backs) with the half way point back where I started.  The idea was to do a slow first lap, then for laps 2 and 3 would aim for marathon pace, and then for the final lap just see how I felt and either push on at marathon pace or just try and finish!!

First lap felt easy but it was so cold!  It was less than zero degrees with very light snow - but the snow was being blown off the trees onto the path so it looked like it was snowing more than it really was.  The path was mostly fine but there were some slippery patches.  As the water fountains were not directly along the course I left a bottle of water in the bushes near the start so i could get a refill at the half way point.  I'd bought with me a lucozade, 2 clif gels and a pack of Clif shot blocks which were just about enough.  I will probably take three gels for the marathon as well as the blocks or test out the type of gel they will give out at the London Marathon and see what they are like.

Second lap felt good!  Saw a lot of runners including a few people more than once, they were probably also doing laps of the cycle track.  Being just a few weeks from all the major marathons meant a lot of people getting their final long runs in!  No way could a week be skipped because of the snow!  Saw one guy in last year's London Marathon Pace Team tee-shirt really going for it, with a guy on a bike cycling alongside him obviously setting his pace.

Third lap also felt strong although i was really feeling it when I finished that lap.  I had to have a very short walking break at the turn-around point and I had a gel and some more drink.

Forth lap was cold and very tough, really was just head down and get on with it.  I finished off my gels but was running out of drink now.  Saw loads more runners - there must have been a club out training, perhaps the Striders, as I passed several groups of runners, obviously all from the same club going at different paces.  Most of the waves or said hello, one girl even said "well done - keep going!" as I passed!!  Could have been because she saw my tee-shirt with the VLM logo on it, or maybe I just looked knackered!

I pushed on through the final mile, knowing it wasn't far to go as is it was part of a short recovery run I have done so many times.  Needless to say that final mile felt more like 5!!  Finally finished back where I'd started and walked slowly back to the sports village where I'd parked and left some of my stuff.  Sat in the cafe afterwards with a huge caramel latte and a piece of chocolate caramel shortbread!

Route was 18.23 miles and time was 3:33:29 with an average pace of 11:43 min/miles.  Was pleased with that as it was very close to marathon race pace.  I couldn't tell my mile or lap splits as I don't have a GPS but it did feel like the middle section of the race was at race pace.  I certainly want to beat my Loch Ness time and will be really pleased if I get a sub 5 hours too.

After the run, I drove home, had a chocolate milkshake and an egg, a bath and a sleep!  I then had to drive up to Bedford for a half hour flying session in the wind tunnel with the team!  Great fun but by the time I got home i was absolutely exhausted!

Total training

18.23 mile run
30 minutes tunnel flying

No comments:

Post a Comment