Thursday 14 February 2013

The last week or so, some ups and downs

Had some ups and downs in the training over the last few days.  Swimming has gone very well, I have been in the pool most days this week (2 coached sessions and a solo session) and got another lesson tonight.  I haven't really been on the bike at all, it's been awful weather with snow on Sunday night so the roads weren't exactly at their best, or just raining.  Looking forward to the spring now when it will be lighter and warmer!

I did a long run (just over 17 miles) on Saturday which went fairly well.  I say fairly well - it felt good when I was running, a nice consistent pace the whole time, and plenty of energy.  However I had used Map My Run to plot a route, but had to change it slightly because of a flood in the road - I took a different road and thought it was about the same distance, but when I had finished and re-mapped the run accurately I discovered it was almost a mile shorter than what i had planned!  I was intending on doing 18 miles and sadly fell short.  Hmm no wonder I was still feeling strong at the end of it.  To make matters worse, I thought I had a reasonable time, but after realising it was a shorter distance the pace was actually slower than I would have wanted.  Felt a bit miffed at the end of it all, but I suppose in the over all scheme of things a mile here or a few minutes extra there doesn't make a massive difference.

I didn't do much on Sunday apart from go to Church - it was a proper rest day!  I managed to watch a few DVDs and eat rubbish food like pop corn and chocolate!!

Monday, I went for a recovery run at lunchtime.  It has been snowing overnight, but the paths were pretty clear as the snow started melting very quickly.  Wore the trail shoes just in case through, it was quite nice to get out of the office and into the fields a bit.  Had a swimming session with Tri Force in the evening.

Tuesday, I was planning to cycle, but still a bit icy on the roads so went for a swim at lunchtime instead.  Also did the TF circuits class in the evening which was great - although the last 5 minutes doing plank exercises was not fun at all!

Yesterday I went for a medium tempo run after work.  It was meant to be just over 7 miles, and the run went very well.  It was great as I felt I actually had some real energy in my legs and was keeping up a decent pace.  It was also 2.5 minutes faster than the same route last week.  Yet when I got back, again, I realised the Map My Run route was incorrect! (Something to do with the auto-follow road function meant it had not picked up the cycle track i ran on and mapped along the road instead, which was longer)  It was actually 0.3 of a mile shorter than I expected and the pace nearly 30 seconds slower per mile than I first thought. I was meant to be running at roughly half marathon PB-or-close pace (between 10:05 and 10:20 min/mi) and it ended up being 10:35.  Really annoyed at this because I thought this was one of my best runs in ages, but feels like nowadays every time I feel like a run has gone well I find out something which gives a worse result.

Today will be a fairly light day - a swimming session with Tri Force tonight (although this will be hard work!), no running or high impact today.  Tomorrow, hopefully, I will get to ride on my bike and go for a swim.  Then at the weekend I'll be taking the train down to Brighton ready for Sunday's Brighton Half Marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment