Monday 25 February 2013

Saturday Long Run

Good long slow run of just over 18.5 miles today.  I plotted out my route as normal, but changed it slightly as I thought that part of it, a long track that goes through woods and across a field, would be still very muddy and difficult to run on without trail shoes.  The new route would have two shorter hills instead of one long one and was all on pavement.  I also needed to add another couple of miles to get the distance up, so extended the Alban Way part of the run (the long disused railway track going from West St Albans into Hatfield and Welwyn Garden City) into Hatfield and then did a loop around the business park (one I often do at lunchtime).  Mostly a nice route, quite hilly for the first half but much flatter later on.

Run went well, took it slowly at about 12 min/mile pace.  My aim for the marathon is around 11.30-11.40 m/miles.  It was a very cold day, minus temperatures and some light snow!  I took me a while to get out and go for a run as I was so warm at home, last thing I wanted to do was spend hours running in the cold!  But I had a great bit of motivation - after checking my emails that morning I saw another donation on my JustGiving site!  So I was very grateful and this made me get my kit on and head out to train!  Thanks Harry!

It was a nice break not having to do the 2-mile slog up towards Childwickbury (to avoid the mud later on), but this did make the two hills feel a bit tougher - I'd done the first and knew I had to do another one!  But hey it's good to get the hills in.  That is one thing I am not good at - hill-specific runs!  I will happily put plenty into the training runs (St Albans is on a hill, so no getting away from them) but I am pretty poor at just doing hill-reps!

Felt like I had plenty of energy (I'd had a potato and other "easy" foods the day before) and got by on a Lucozade, 2 gels, and one left-over Gatorzade glucose block (which wasn't as nice as the usual Clif shot blocks).  The first 2 miles are difficult as there is a fairly tough climb followed by a very steep downhill part, so there is not much chance to get into a comfortable pace for quite a while.  I don't feel like I'm "into" the run until I've got onto the main road about 4-5 miles in! 

Topped up my water bottle at the park and had a gel, this kept me going for a while.  I was starting to ache by about 12 miles but managed to keep the pace up and had no need to walk at all.  I was very thankful that the Brighton Half had been a slow one, as now I had energy and strength for this run!  Although at the time I was disappointed with the result, if I'd done it in a faster time I might not have been able to do this training run as well.  I suppose it's like investing my energy in the long slow runs instead of the quicker HM races for a later but ultimately better payoff!

Finished the run in 3:43 and total distance was 18.66 miles.  Will do another 20 miler in 2 weeks time, 21 miles 3 weeks before VLM and then the marathon!!  In between I will do slightly shorter 15-16 mile runs and a couple more HMs which I will take slowly (Bath and Reading).

Spent the rest of the day too tired to do much except watch Skyfall on DVD and have some ice cream!!

Total training

Friday: Cycle to work (7 miles)
Saturday: Long slow run (18.66 miles)
Sunday:  Rest day!

No comments:

Post a Comment