Monday 18 November 2013

MoRunners Unite! The MoRun Battersea 5k

Yesterday I took part in one of the MoRuns, in Battersea Park, London.  They are a series of 5k and 10k races throughout the UK in November which support Movember and men’s health charities such as Prostate Cancer UK and the Institute of Cancer Research.  I find them well organised a lots of fun, and nice to know that part of your entry fee does actually go directly to the charity (I am not sure how much exactly, but many so-called charity runs do not give any funds to the charity – fundraising/donations needs to be done on top of this by the runners).  This year I did the 5k (last year I did the Milton Keynes 10k).  Feels a bit odd travelling all the way into London and paying money to enter a 5k race but I fancied a day in London and with lots of guys at work taking part in the mo-growing for the good cause, I wanted to get involved myself (minus the facial hair growing part).

I do like the atmosphere of the MoRunning!  It’s open to all and you get a lot of first timers doing it for charity, but there’s a “work-hard play-hard” feel to it so some quite fast club runners were there as well.  As there are 1,000 runners, it’s not massively packed and overcrowded like the big city charity runs but still feels liek a good turn out.  Always plenty of fancy dress which I find a good laugh especially at the end of the season when the “serious” races are over.  I went on my own, but think I would have had more fun if I’d gone with friends (even first time runners) as it’s more about the camaraderie and community than just running.  I did go in fancy dress too, an Iron Man costume (girly version which was basically a short dress!) and drew on a Tony Stark mo.  There was probably more fancy dress runners than not!  The most popular theme was the 1980's "118" runners in red and white gear, plus superheroes and 60s/70s/80s costumes.

Wasn’t sure how the run itself was going to go, as I had given blood earlier than week and had found my previous two runs since very tough (e.g. my Parkrun time on Saturday was 30 mins – much slower and harder work than my 28 minutes a week ago).  I decided to try for a decent  time, but not worry if it didn’t go to plan and I did not feel recovered enough.

The run was 2 laps of Battersea Park and was very flat, with pretty surroundings.  Things went well at first and I was a bit ahead of my target pace.  Unfortunately I really don’t think I had recovered enough from the blood doning as soon it was feeling very hard work, very high heart rate, could not get enough oxygen to maintain pace (I know a 5k should be all-out, but this was a fairly standard 6 min km’s so hardly anything earth shattering for me!).  I got an awful stitch coming through the half-way point which lasted for most of that kilometer, and I had to slow right down to a jog.  The final km was better but didn’t make up for the lost time earlier.  I sort of wished I had just taken it slowly the whole way and not tried to push myself too early as I did not really enjoy it like I should have done due to the pain!!  I finished in the exact same time as the previous day’s Parkrun of 30min 12 sec (always annoying to get JUST over 30 mins in a 5k!).  

Still, I never regret doing a race however it goes, and once I had crossed the line it was the same good feeling of having done it as best as I could manage.  I really liked my medal, which was mo-shaped.  There was water, sweets and hot food at the finish.

Later I headed to the shops for a bit before it was too crowded with Christmas shoppers.  Having just done a race it was a good excuse to wear running gear for the rest of the morning on the way home which is sooo comfortable! (Although could do with a wash!).  I almost felt like going for a run along the Embankment since so many London runners were out running, but decided with my bulky backpack and coat that it wouldn't really be convenient so I got myself an early Christmas present from the running shop instead and then headed home.

Here is a paragraph from thier website, which I think sums up MoRunning.

To be a MoRunner means you are part of something bigger than yourself! You’re part of a community, a family, a team. When you step up to that start line at your MoRun, look to your left, look to your right, and remember friends are all around you! So whether there’s a MoBro with a funny moustache, or maybe a MoSista that’s painted one on, or even someone dressed up as a superhero, give them a smile, shake their hand, and just remember we are all in it together. Run hard, run fast, have fun and enjoy being part of something special!

No comments:

Post a Comment