Friday 1 November 2013

Berlin Marathon 2014 - I'm in!

Ballot came through for the Berlin Marathon - and I'm in again!!  Very pleased as I thought I would not get lucky having done it this year.  It's a brilliant race so really looking forward to doing it again.

If you don't know, they went and introduced a ballot for the first time this year (for entry into the 2014 race).  Prior to this is was simply first-come-first-served, selling out in 3.5 hours.  If you got in quick, you could get a place, but this time you were at the mercy of the lottery!

Very happy to see that Dennis and Audrey have also got places :)  Just a couple of others I am waiting to find out if they got in.

The hardest decision now is how to plan my autumn.  I have my heart set on the Royal Parks Ultra (50k) but it is only 2 weeks after Berlin.  Whilst I could use that as my final "long run" I'm not sure if 2 weeks is adequate tapering time so i may do the half (would consider a charity place if not successful in that ballot).   I also have the Vitruvian Half Iron at the end of August, and still waiting to hear if I got into Ride London or not.

Some other races I have recently entered for next year: Surrey Spitfire 20 mile race (April) in preparation for the spring marathons, and the Marlow half iron triathlon (July).

This weekend I am volunteering at Parkrun (have been "promoted" to bar-code scanner!) but a little jealous as they were running the off-road route this time and I have not done that one yet.  Then on Sunday it is the Stevenage Half Marathon.  I have made the radical decision not to do any running this week until Sunday to give my legs some sort of chance to recover after Eden and the Great South Run.  They have give me a bit of grief lately - and I have just remembered that Stevenage has a 2.5 hr time limit and although i got a PB of 2.12 last year, I am not that fresh this year so cannot afford to be too sore and risk not finishing on time!!

On a not-so-good note I discovered the Bupa London 10,000 date has changed and it now clashes with the Liverpool Rock & Roll Marathon.  So looks like I will be unable to make that one now :(

No comments:

Post a Comment