Friday 1 November 2013

Coming last vs being near the front

So really I am not a fast runner (or triathlete) and my main goals are generally to either get my own new PB, or if not running for a target time then to just enjoy the day as much as possible.  I think this is fine, and 99% of runner’s attitudes out there seems to be similar and not at all negative of anyone who isn’t a sub 4hr marathon runner or equivalent.  Ok so I’ve seen one or two elitist articles arguing that ALL marathons should have a 5 hour cut off limit (apparently to deter people who don’t take it seriously?!!) - I tend to get annoyed for a few minutes then forget about it as that is clearly never going to happen (imagine the revenue lost from the charity runners!!).

I was thinking about some of my races this evening where I have actually come last, or very close to last, and compared that to the two where I’ve done very well in in comparison to the rest of the field (mainly due to luck and timing).  I came to the conclusion that there was NO difference in how much I enjoyed the race, or how pleased I was with my own performance, whether I came last or near the front.  Here are a couple of examples!

Races I’ve come last or almost last (i.e. the final finisher).

Marlow olympic-distance triathlon:  I’m not sure if I was last, but on the 2nd lap of the run I didn’t see anyone else behind me so I may well have been!  I really was not bothered about this at all – it was my first at this distance and just wanted to complete.  I was very happy with my time of 3hr 33mins.  The other runners were very encouraging as I did my first lap (as they did their 2nd) and although I ran the 2nd lap alone, the marshals were great.  Plus I got the biggest cheer coming back in!!

Eden Project Marathon:  I think I was 4th from last.  I was certainly at the back for the first 6 or 7 miles as the back runner/marshal was staying with me that whole time.  I think I later over took one guy and 2 other girls, and the results back that up.  Again no worries.  I was more concerned about finishing within the 6 hour limit (it was a very tough, cross country race, and I was already well over 5 hours with 4 miles to go).  I still got great encouragement from the volunteers both on the course and at the finish line.  Was just very pleased to have done it and there was still plenty of goodies left both at the feed stations and the finish line.  They did not have the problem of running out of supplies for the later runners there!

Triathlon club training and races:  I have come last in nearly all the evening time trials, and last in the monthly duathlon and end of season sprint tri.  In the tri I got a great cheer as everyone else was back so more people around at the finish line!

Races where I’ve done well in comparison to the masses

Pink Ribbon Walk 20 mile – this was not a race, but an un-timed walk with no results list, so I am not sure whether to count this.  But I really wanted a good time for myself and the goal was to practice power walking, race walking and very slow jogging over a long distance.  There were a few others who were obviously also marathon runners all with the same sort of funny walk/trot pace plus 3 girls at the front who walked “normally” but very quickly.  I think I came 4th in that walk which was pretty awesome but didn’t really feel much different to whether I’d come at the back!

London – Brighton Bike Ride – I was by no means at the front of this one, but due to being in the earliest wave, having just 1 very short break and working hard the whole way round, I finished within around hour later of the first lot (around 10am – to give you an idea, people were finished from 9am onwards all day to around 5 or 6pm) so it was great fun cycling with good club riders and being well ahead of the crowds.  Again, not a race, but when you see a finish line in front and finishing before most people are even out of London it felt pretty awesome.

Being last is certainly more humbling and really more motivating.  I have never met anyone who looked down on me or anyone else for coming at the back and often you get the biggest cheers.  Every final finisher at Parkrun gets the biggest cheer!  How else are people going to be motivated to start and carry on running without such encouragement from fellow runners?


As they say, 26.2 miles is still 26.2 miles to anyone.  And a 12 min mile is the same distance as a 6 min mile.  J

No comments:

Post a Comment