Friday 14 June 2013

Friday training and Thursday's running commute

Fridays are usually mostly a rest day, but as the weather is decent i am well into the habit of cycling to work, so i have been on the bike today.  I also wanted to get in a quick swim before tomorrow's aquathlon, so I cycled to work and headed to the pool before going to the office.

Being Friday, I like things to be a bit different.  So instead of cycling in my casual commuting cycling shorts and tee-shirt, I wore my one piece triathlon suit, snazzy black lycra.  It's more unusual this one, as it has short sleeves.  I had been looking for a tri or cycling suit with sleeves for months and never found one that i could afford (or many at all, for that matter).  I found this at the Blenheim Palace triathlon expo - for £20!  Bargain!  Ok so it is the Ironman brand and has the distinctive logo across the back, and i have not (yet) done an ironman.  Should I wear it?  It certainly motivates me to train harder and certainly want to do a half iron distance tri one day!  (Full?  Um, ask me sometime in the future!).

Then for my swim, i went for the bikini instead of the swim suit.  Feels good to wear that sometime, and is perfect for swimming.  It's not the sort you'd get in River Island though, with sequins and beads and whatever cut out which would probably fall apart the moment it got wet.  It's cute but believe it or not you can actually train in it.  The pool see a lot of triathletes, so I take the opportunity to wear my tri gear once in a while so I am used to it come race day.  Just don't want to ruin them with too much exposure to the chlorine though.

Fridays - good excuse for showing off gear.  Gives the day a bit of an edge.

Yesterday I ran to and from work.  That was awesome.  I did 5 miles before work, the longish way, and then a shorter, slow 3 miles back in the evening.  I now have a running backpack with a water pouch which was brilliant (when i worked out how to use the valve!) as it stayed in place nicely and didn't bounce.  The only problem is that the webbing rubs my shoulders, so i think i will need to wear a tee-shirt and not a vest.  Oh and it was £12 from tesco!

Tonight I will take it easy, and tomorrow i have an aquathlon at the sports village in the afternoon.  400m swim and 5k run with Tri Force.  Should be good!

Then Sunday it's London to Brighton cycle ride, whoohoo!!

Total Training this week

Monday - cycle to work and swimming with TF

Tuesday - cycle to work and 3 mile recovery run

Wednesday - cycle to work, cycle to Colney Heath, 10 mile cycle TT (in the pouring rain - slow time at 40 mins!)

Thursday - run to work 5 miles, part cross country, with backpack, and slow run home 3 miles

Friday - cycle to work, short swim session before work 800m



No comments:

Post a Comment