Friday 21 June 2013

London - Brighton Bike Ride

Had a great day doing the British Heart Foundation's London to Brighton Bike Ride on Sunday.
We were lucky enough to get guaranteed the early start at 6am, which is ideal as the roads are clear and there are far fewer cyclists, so much more space.  54 miles from capital to the coast!

Very early alarm - up at 3am and having a good breakfast of toast, peanut butter, banana, tea and a croissant and sips of lucozade as I finished getting my gear ready.  It was a bit of dilemma what to take - I could either take a backpack to hold more food and sparer change of clothes, but have it sitting against my back all morning.  Or I could travel light and squeeze everything I needed into the saddle bag and the pockets of my jersey.  In the end I traveled light.   Cycled over to Ray's just after 4am, then we made our way to Jim's to get the bikes on the car before getting a lift down to London.  We were very grateful for the lift at that time in the morning!

London is a 24 hour city so plenty of people out, although  seemed like mostly people on their way home from a night out!  Got to Clapham Common and joined the crowds ready to set off.

First 8-10 miles I set off at an easy pace.  Still in central London so just wanted to enjoy the atmosphere and be part of a big cycling group.  There was lots of space so very few bottlenecks, but we did have to stop at junctions and big traffic lights.  Soon we came out of the city and into the outskirts - I began to get my speed up here.  The 4 of us in our party separated,  although i did see Jim from time to time.  The ride is not a race - but I and many others wanted to push ourselves and get a good time or a PB.  I was thinking that with rest stops and any hold ups it would be around 4.30 - 5 hours.

A few hills as we carried on - managed these ones alright but knew there was a nasty one just before we got to Brighton!  Got some good speed on the downhills.  The scenery was getting really pretty now, good open countryside and nice roads for cycling.  The roads were either closed, one way only, or we had the left hand lane.  I stopped briefly at mile 22 for some fresh water and a quick break.  Many people rest for a while at one of the many stops along the way - for a pub lunch, BBQ or picnic, but I had energy gels and drink with me so just wanted to crack on.  Better to get to the cafes at the beach having finished the ride and can have a big breakfast and celebrate!

Great riding through the countryside as we came closer and closer to Brighton.  Eventually came to Ditchling Beacon, the horrendous hill 7 miles from the finish!  I saw it looming in the distance and couldn't see how on earth we were going to get up it!  It was steep and long, and sadly I did not manage to ride very much of it at all.  I soon got off and walked as it was faster and easier than trying to pedal up.  Very impressed with those who did especially the Tour de France wannabes who came up fast behind us yelling "on your right!".

Amazing views from the top though!  And plain sailing downhill into Brighton after that!  I couldn't believe the time as I came the outskirts of Brighton in under 4 hours, so knew I was smashing my target time.  Great last few miles and it reminded me of the Brighton Half Marathon as we finished at the same place as that race.  Plenty of crowds and an great fast finish!  Came in at 4h 08m 50s!  Very pleased!!

Had a lazy few hours having breakfast and hot chocolate at a beach cafe when we met up with the rest of the team.  It was quite cold by that point and was raining a bit, but lovely to be there and enjoy the rest of the morning.  Unfortunately all I had with me was what I had been cycling in - so no extra warm jacket or extra layers.  Was good to be having breakfast by 11am by the sea!

We stayed around until about 1pm and then headed up Madeira Drive to find our coach home.  The bikes go in a lorry and riders take a coach back.  Finally arrived back in Clapham Common where we cycled to Victoria to get a lift back to St Albans.

Got home at about 5pm, exhausted but very pleased!  certainly want to do that one again next year and have another crack at Ditchling Beacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment