Wednesday 10 April 2013

Review of running tights and shorts

A review of my running tights and shorts

 Nike Perfect Fit 3/4 Tights

I love these!  Very soft and comfortable, easy to wear.  Not as thick as most running tights so fine for spring and mild days.  Available in lots of colours and I went bold with yellow.  There's a small pocket on the hop but unfortunately it does not have a zip to close it.













Nike Swift 3/4 running tights

My favourite running tights.  Super comfy, lovely material, and they look awesome with the triangular imprint design and blue piping.  The length is perfect, as they allow air to the ankles on cool days, but are long enough so they don't bunch up around the knees.  Good sized zip pocket at the back and a smaller one (no zip) on the right hip that takes a gel or small mp3 player.  Not cheap - got my first pair for £50 from Sweatshop, but as soon as they came on sale I bought another pair.  Worn them for all my long runs and autumn/winter/spring half marathons. They used to do an ankle length version as well which I wish I'd bought instead of the Skins A200s, (below).  The waist band is fine and doesn't have a drawstring (which i like), it stays in place without feeling tight.  Also bought the full length tights which have a zip on the ankle and orange piping.  Bargain at £15 at the past-season outlet store!
  


 Under Armour Cold Gear tights

Good pair of tights, the first pair I bought and do the job well.  Very comfy and no annoying drawstring - although it does make it every so slightly on the loose side.  Has a pocket but it's tiny, only enough for keys, ID, a very small phone or iPod nano.  Worn for most medium runs in very cold weather.









Skins A200 compression tights

Good pair of running tights, but there is a rather annoying seam going right up the back of the leg, which irritates the back of my knee.  Small pocket on the inside.  The waistband is a bit of the tight side, even with the drawstring at it's loosest so I wear it for medium runs, wouldn't wear them for a half marathon.  The drawstring is rather annoying as it is not very soft and digs into my skin.  I have got used to that and the seam, and otherwise they are very comfortable and high quality tights, but I prefer the Nike Swifts.











Skins A200 compression shorts
Bought these as i wanted a pair of skintight shorts and I was mostly happy with the full length tights (and they obviously wouldn't have the seam down the back of the knee!).  They are good, but still a bit tight in the waist like the tights.  They feel quite tight around the thighs, like cycling shorts.












New Balance 2-layer shorts
Bought these in the Christmas sale.  They are 2-parts - a hot-pant style inner short and then a loose outer short.  Feel very comfy when on, but the inner hot pant layer did start to ride up a bit when running.  Nice for short runs in hot weather.  It's nice to find a pair of shorts with a pocket but that don't have a really cheap low-quality inner lining.

New Balance hot-pant shorts
Bought these on Saturday so have only worn them for circuits and a short run.  Seem very comfy but once I get going they felt a lot shorter that I remembered in the shops!  Two pockets which is a nice bonus and not constricting like some hotpants.

ASDA boy's PE shorts
Bought a 2-pack of boy's PE shorts from ASDA for £6 last year.  They were fine and I did the Loch Ness Marathon in them!!  The only problem is they are a bit loose so I have to wear the running belt to hold them up, and they have no pocket.  Funny that you can spend £6 on shorts that do the job almost as well as a £60 pair of tights...

Nike Run Low Rise Capri
I bought these in the Nike outlet store sale mainly for short cycle rides as i discovered I'm not a fan of knee-length tights for running as they always bunch up around the knee and annoy me.  These are nice capris though, with a comfy waistband, pocket and a good cut around the knee.  I mainly wear them for cycling, walking and cross training.















Karrimore Run Capris
A budget pair of capris which were about £10 from Sports Direct.  Not great but ok for a beginners as at least they are wicking material and fairly comfortable.  Too tight round the knee for running and the seams are not all flat-locked.  However they have a pocket and are flexible and stretchy.  I mainly wear them for cycling and walking if the other capris are in the wash.




No comments:

Post a Comment