Friday 10 January 2014

Virtual Races

Shortly before Christmas, I discovered a new concept that looks like it's been popular among US runners for some time - Virtual Races.  I had never heard of them before until they started showing up on my twitter feed and even then it was some time before I bothered to read up on them.

This virtual race organiser, Will Run for Bling and Charity describes a virtual race as "A virtual race is a race that can be ran at any location. You can walk, use the treadmill, run outside or participate in another race.  You can run your race at your pace wherever you like."

You sign up in the same way as a normal race, entering online and paying your fee.  You choose your distance (usually anything from 5k to marathon or over).  You get an email with a race bib that you print off.  Then, you run (more on that, later!).  At the end you submit your time, usually with proof such as photo of your watch, a Garmin upload screenshot, smartphone app, or just a photo of you looking hot and sweaty with your race number pinned on to your top.  Social media is a big part of the race, and everyone is encourage to get online and meet their fellow runners around the world.  Finally, there is often a theme, whatever the organiser decides will be fun and popular!  Monthly races are usually based on the season, such as February is valentines themed and December is Christmas themed.  Or there are movies and TV shows – there was even a Doctor Who 50th Anniversary race!

Well at first I was definitely in two minds about the whole concept and wasn’t surprised I hadn’t heard of them in the UK yet.   I thought, well may be they are great for new runners or those who don’t have the money or time to travel to an actual race and just want to grab their friends together for their first 10k in the park.  On the other hand, the event itself is the best bit, and virtual racing cuts all of that out!!  Plus if you want anything tangible – usually a medal, they cost money, and some of the US races seemed very expensive for what is essentially a solo run ($25-$40!).  But then I discovered that most of the payment went to charity, and that nearly all runs were set up in order to raise money to begin with, which made it a bit better.  Obviously I can’t see the majority of runners deciding to go and pay money to do a run by themselves but there is a growing community out there including one or two UK communities.

I have a very strong feeling that the main two reasons for doing these are for a small group to run together and motivate each other in the same way they would a race, and secondly for the medal.  Most of the websites have no shame in saying their runners LOVE bling, and by rewarding entrants with big, shiny medals then the runners enjoy coming back for more.  I have to admit, some of the medals are quite awesome and it’s no wonder they are often sold out.  But does it count if they are not part of a “real-life” event?

So instead of thinking about it, I decided to enter one and make up my mind.   Two in fact – a well-established looking US virtual race series, and a smaller UK series, one of which I’ve finished.  The other I am yet to do!

The first was a movie-themed race with Will Run for Bling and Charity and was based on Top Gun.  There was a choice of 5k, 10k, or half marathon and you had to do your run within a 4 week window.  I submitted my entry as the 10k, as I was literally just about to do my 26.2 Roman Run and wasn’t sure I was up for a half marathon within 4 weeks, but secretly I thought to myself I would like to do one of each distance in that timespan (although you only needed to submit one time).  The medal was very eye catching, an awesome-looking fighter jet with the words “Top Gun Run” in the famous movie font beneath, and 5k/10k/Half Marathon below that and also printed on the ribbon.  If people only do these for the medals, I can see why, but I was still a bit apprehensive as I entered my credit card details for an amount slightly more than what I would pay for a small, local 10k.  At least the profits would go to charity – the American Diabetes Association.

So mid-December, I set a date and went for my virtual 10k.  To be honest, it was just a normal run, but I did print out my bib and wear it so it felt a bit more special.  It also felt like I was making myself more accountable – I knew I had to do this, as it was “race day”, and although I was tired from the Roman Run I still wanted to try and race myself!!  When I got back, it was quite fun going on their facebook site and sending in a screenshot of my Garmin upload then commenting on each other’s photos/posts.  There were loads of other runners around the world, plenty with photos of themselves holding their medals or back from their own virtual run wearing race bibs.  This was actually the best bit about it, and gave it a good community feel.  The results also go up on the site (they use an honour system) so you can see where you came and congratulate your fellow racers.  Some time later, the medal did indeed show up, and it’s rather stunning!  No wonder so many people take part in these!  I guess if the only real expenditure for the organiser is getting medals made and shipped out, and no costs in actually organising an actual event, you do get some special bling.  It is by far the biggest medal I own.

The other race is with Virtual Runner UK, and this time it will be fun to run with other Brits.  There was a 5k and 10k option here, so I chose the 10k.  I do usually find these distances tough unless I’m doing an easy run – I prefer either a shorter, sharper 5k or a slower, tempo 8 or 10 miles.  So this is again making me accountable for doing a fast 10k – they are good training!  The medal is much more modest, but it was a very cheap race to enter, just a few pounds and again goes to charity.  Let’s see how it goes when I set a date for sometime before the end of January!

At the end of the day, I expect it won’t hit off with most runners as it is basically just paying money to do something you normally do, without the benefit of being in an organised race.  I can’t see myself doing one very often, but I might sign up for one for a few special occasions.  I can't be spending £5-£15 every few weeks just for this reason - although at least there's no travel and hotel costs involved so might work out a lot cheaper than doing actual races every other weekend!  Some other reasons I thought would be a benefit would be if you have a distance race in the future, and want more motivation for your training runs.  So if you have a marathon coming up, and need to do a 13 mile run in the training plan but there are no races around the correct time, a virtual race might be more motivating than just another long slow weekend run.  Especially if it’s your first time hitting that distance, then the medal will really feel worth it.  I am thinking I might sign up for a marathon-distance virtual race before my ultra, so I can be more motivated for the really long final runs and have a mini-reward along the way to see me through.

If you have friends doing the couch to 5k, and want to run together then a virtual race could be a great gift for them if they can’t or doing feel ready to do a race yet.  Or if you’re really competitive with friends who are at a similar standard but live in different parts of the country, you might decide to enter a virtual race and race each other that way.  Finally there are races which reward you for not just doing one race, but committing to a series of runs over the year adding up to a total number of miles or runs.  This could be a great way to celebrate a personal target with others, the popular one at the moment seems to be “14 in 2014” – 14 races of a chosen distance in 2014.  Or 2014 miles in 2014.  At the end you order your medal.  Ok so anyone could just buy one and say they have done it, but I can’t imagine non-runners are going to have much of an incentive to pay out money (and it’s not pennies, either) and just pretend to do a run that anyone can do at any time.  I suppose the cynical among us could also argue that it’s just making our sport into a spending/consumerism spree with more emphasis on shiny, glittery trinkets and less on actual running and fitness.  I’ll let someone else argue that though since I love shiny glittery things! 

And finally, if you really want to celebrate a special day, there’s always the Birthday or seasonable virtual races, where you commit to running on your birthday, Christmas, New Year’s Day etc and have a fun medal to show for it, even if there was no real race you could take part it.

Best of both worlds?  Get together a group of friends, sign up for a virtual 5k with the blingy-est medal you can find or a charity that is close to you all, head a popular Parkrun on a Saturday morning and all try and run a PB :)

Some websites offering virtual races:

No comments:

Post a Comment