Friday 31 January 2014

Birthday Mile Run

Today is my birthday, and so that I could treat myself to my favourite pudding later (Ben and Jerries ice cream, of course!) I wanted to go for a run.  Friday is meant to be rest day though, so i just wanted to do something either short or easy.  It ended up being the Birthday Mile run! Basically, I had to run a mile as fast as I could.  I really hoped to do it in under 9 mins 20 sec as I have been doing a bit of interval work (better late than never) to try and build up some iota of speed (since my normal pace right now is about 11.20 min/mi!).

I got to the gym at about 7.50am, thinking that luckily it was only a short run or I'd be late for work!  I'd not want to leave the house too early as there were plenty of birthday wishes coming my way and I didn't want to set my alarm TOO early either.

My first route that I had planned - a simple out and back along the old airport runway in the fields behind the Uni campus - was flooded!  So I abandoned that plan and decided on a short loop round the business park.  It would be slower though, as there were roads to cross and a lot more corners to slow me down than a simple straight run.

The run was tough!!  I was so knackered even about 2 minutes in!  Lungs were bursting and I thought I had gone off way to fast and there was no way I would be able to carry on at this pace.  I did have to slow down a little, but was pleased to see that at half a mile my Garmin said 4.20.  
The second half mile was slightly slower (so yes I did start too quickly) and felt like it went on forever - all I wanted to do was stop and collapse!  Luckily it was a very easy straight push to the finish with a slight downhill with 0.2 of a mile to go so finished fast.  In 8.51!  Yay!  Very happy with that.  Was much better than the 9.20ish I hoped for!  Ok there was NO WAY that right now I could have done anything further than a mile at that pace right now but I was very happy.  I did once managed a parkrun PB at that pace back in 2012 so maybe I just needed a little reminder of what i used to be able to do.

Quick shower and into work, knowing that I had earned my ice cream (and cake, wine and chocolates!) later on!

Just a little #healthieselfie (sorry, I don't usually post these but could not resist!!)


No comments:

Post a Comment