Tuesday 15 October 2013

Tuesday round up: Half Iron Tri, Eden Project Marathon & Herts 10k

Just a quickish round up of what I've been up to since Berlin, and got coming up.  Been to a few Parkruns - last week following the marathon was really tough as my legs had clearly not recovered!  This weeks was much better though and knocked off a few minutes although still a pretty modest time especially for a 5k.  I'll work on my speed and getting closer to my PB when fully recovered from the long runs!

On Sunday there were a few of us doing the Herts 10k, a local charity race that supports a hospice charity called Grove House.  Very popular and good cause, about 3,000 runners this year and entries filled up faster than ever.  Good to see more and more people getting into running and that races are filling up!  It was a horrendous day though - poured with the the entire time and some parts of the course were very muddy and waterlogged.  Glad I wore trail shoes as there was no staying dry on this one!  Finished in 61 minutes, which I was fairly pleased with.  I wasn't expecting a PB in those conditions (I managed one last year at this race), and would have been very happy with a sub-60, but the mud and extra effort required for several kilometers meant it was not to be.  Happy to get under 62 minutes though (faster than a 10 min/mile pace).  I was almost on track for 60 minutes at 8km had it not been for the part where we left the hard path and back onto the mud and grass!

This weekend is the Eden Project Marathon.  I am both very nervous and excited about this.  I am going to take it easy and enjoy the scenery as there is no point in aiming for a good time.  I hear it is a very tough, hilly marathon though, so hopefully it won't wear me out too much!  My nightmare would be getting too weary and missing the full marathon cut off point at mile 8 and being instructed to do the half marathon instead (i.e. turn back).  Hopefully it all all be fine, though!  I will take the train to Cornwall on Saturday and then stay until Monday afternoon, the B&B I have booked looks really nice and the owner has promised to have croissants available on race morning for me!  I hear there is someone from skydiving also doing this one so will be good to see a familiar face!

Finally another bit of adventure coming my way is the Vitruvian Triathlon next August - which will be my first half-iron triathlon!  1900m swim - 85k bike - 21k run - bring it on!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment