Friday 30 August 2013

Too many marathons? Gone a bit overboard

I was googling training for running multiple marathons today, and came across this post: How To Run Back to Back Marathons and I really think I'll need it!  I've been on a bit of a roll and ever since I heard about the inaugural Rock and Roll Liverpool Marathon, and managed to enter three marathons in under two months - April and May 2014.  Brighton on the 6th April, Liverpool on the 25th May and Kent on 31st May!  And I'm still not sure about the Milton Keynes Marathon which I was planning to do, as maybe 3 is too much.  Maybe I'll just wait to see if a London Marathon rejection mag comes through the door (VLM is the week after Brighton), just to ensure I don't go TOO crazy.

So I need to train for multiple marathons in a short space of time, since Liverpool and Kent are only 6 days apart.  Not even a full week to recover!  Needless to say i am not bothered about, or aiming for, any PBs here.  I will probably have to crawl round the 17 laps of the Kent racecourse, just because I want the biggest race medal in Europe.  And Liverpool will just be an excuse for a 26 mile long rock concert!  I'll try and plan my training so that I do a few weeks with two long runs close together.

I'd much rather set myself the goal of running a certain amount of marathons in a certain time, and 10 before I hit 30 seems achievable.  Maybe after that I will upgrade to 40 before 40, like this lady.  That would be mega.  I've done 3 already, and have Berlin and Eden planned for 2013 - half way there already.  Then 3 planned for next spring, so just need to fit in 2 more before January 2015.  I am thinking a holiday - Dubai (January 15) or Toronto (October 14) marathon perhaps!

I also made the mistake of not checking when the final spring marathon was when it came to signing up for next year's triathlons and half's.  Somehow I have managed to arrange it so that in 3 consecutive weekends, I've got the Liverpool Marathon, Kent Marathon and then the Blenheim Palace sprint triathlon - then NEXT DAY, the St Albans half marathon.   Eeeek, not clever!  I could just about do a sprint tri following the marathons, or the HM following the tri if I am not bothered about a decent time, but all four is going to be interesting.  I couldn't have missed Blenheim, but I should have signed up for the 5k instead of the HM.  If worst comes to the worst I'll just have to see if I can swap to the 5k or walk most of the HM and hope I finish inside the time limit!

Also put my name down for the Rock and Roll Edinburgh Half Marathon - but this is well out of the way at the end of June and I'll try not to let there be any other marathons or long races around the same time...

EDIT: At least I haven't made this mistake of sighing up for 2 races in the same day (well I did, but they took place at the same time, 100 miles apart so impossible to do both!

No comments:

Post a Comment