Friday 3 May 2013

Limbo period between marathons

So with the excitement of London settling down at last, it's now only 9 days until the Prague Marathon.  Running 2 in such a short space of time feels like really bizarre!  There was no feeling of "it's all over" when I finished London, and within days I have become both very exciting and nervous about doing it all over again.

Of course the two marathons are going to be very different.  London was all about going for another decent time (as good as I could manage, as it turned out), running this famous route, enjoying the huge crowds and finally crossing off this major bucket list entry!  

Running the Prague Marathon will be, to put it bluntly, using a tiny window of opportunity having gained extra fitness from London to bang out another marathon and get another fat medal.  Really, that's what it boils down to.  It will be a gamble - the miles are invested in the bank, but is it the right time to cash in yet?  Will I find this easy, or have I not recovered nearly as much and will this be very tough?  There's no pressure on the day to beat my time (my plan is to do the first half very slow, at least 12 min miles for a good 12-14 miles, and then see how it goes from there) and I just want to enjoy myself.  There's no feeling like finishing a marathon, PB or no PB, after all!

I'm also really looking forward to visiting Prague with Alli, I hear it's a really beautiful city and a great marathon route!  We're sure to have a great time.  Be really good to run my first overseas marathon as well!

Anyway I have kept up some training this last week and a half, starting off very gently after London and just doing a few short, sharp(ish) workouts every other day or so keep sharp.  I don't want to loose any fitness before Prague by doing nothing, but also there's a very fine line between keeping sharp and not allowing my body to recover.  I also want to avoid doing too little in the first week, and then too much next week which is when I will need to rest again before the marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment