Tuesday 29 January 2013

Loch Ness Marathon report


**My race report from October 2012**

The marathon went well, it was a stunning location along the south-east shore of Loch Ness, with the last 5 miles entering Inverness.  The final mile was run in the city centre - alongside the River Ness, over the Ness Bridge and then back towards Bught Park where the Festival of Running was taking place.  The course was challenging, with some tough hills at miles 5, 18 and 20 which I admit I powerwalked!  The first 8 miles were very strong and it felt good to finally be running my marathon after 8 months of training.  However I think I was a bit over confident and my pace was too fast, because I paid for this later on.

Around this time we got our first glimpse fo Loch Ness itself, and it was just as stunning as I'd imagined.  You couldn't have asked for a better location for a race.  We got to run along the shore until about mile 18, at this point we said goodbye to the loch as the road took us further towards the city - although we'd meet the River Ness and cross it in the last few miles.
 Miles 15-20 were the toughest, getting low on energy and feeling sore, but the atmosphere and knowing that I was well over half way was enough to make me continue running (although at a fairly gentle pace!).  I had finished all my gels and really needed more - my low point was actually picking up an un-opened pack of Clif Shot Blocks off the ground that someone else has discarded!  Even though the packet was covered in mud with was just what I needed! Classy.
After 22 miles I'd had some more gels at the feed station and had found my strength again (plus it was downhill now!) and finished the last few miles strong. Dad saw me at mile 25 and even ran along side me for a short while!  He got to take the short cut back to the park though - I had a bit further to go!  But that last mile, although so tough (and felt so much longer than a mile) was actually quite fast for that point of the race - just over a 10 min mile!  I couldn't believe it when i passed mile 26 and saw the finish line ahead.  The last 365 yards was just a blur!  There's a decent photo of me here, but i don't remember it!  I just remmeber keeping my eyes on the finish line - and before I knew it I was crossing it!  Fantastic welcome across the finish line, and a lovely medal, T shirt and goody bag was given to me!  Really glad I ran it, and would do this race again - but now for a good rest before training starts again in the new year for the London Marathon.
Huge thanks to all my friends and family who have supported and encouraged me over the last few months. Couldn't have done it without you!


No comments:

Post a Comment