Tuesday 5 August 2014

Marlow Half Iron Distance Triathlon

A couple of weeks ago I did my biggest challenge to date – the Marlow Half-Iron Distance Triathlon, at the end of July.  I was feeling reasonably confident that I could do it, although what finishing time I would achieve would remain to be seen!  The main goal was just to do it, within the 8 hour time limit.  At least I’d be going down with another Tri-Forcer – Dawn – so we could keep each other company before we set off!

I’d done the Marlow Olympic distance triathlon three weeks before, (did it last year as well) which was great as it helped me remind myself of the course, transition, the run etc.  The Half was slightly shorter than an “Ironman 70.3” race, as the half marathon at the end was in fact 20km (4 x 5km laps) instead of the regular 21.1km/13.1 miles.  Not that a few minutes difference would make much off my time over 7-plus hours!

We had to register in Marlow the day before (Saturday), but not rack the bikes which was a bit of a pain as it involved two 50 miles drives.  I went with my parents for the afternoon – may as well make a day of it - and after picking up my race pack we had a nice coffee by the river.  It was a scorching hot day, and I did hope it would be slightly cooler on the Sunday!  We also had an athlete’s briefing that evening, and it was surprising how many people there were doing their first HI – nearly all of them!  Although I did talk to a couple of people who were doing their first Half, but had in fact already done a full Iron that year anyway so were “working backwards”.  Seems to be a bit of a trend among new triathletes who wish their Ironman to be their first of everything – first open water race, first marathon, and first triathlon.  I think I would rather work “upwards” although I did do a super sprint tri after I’d done an Olympic, and 5k run after I was doing half marathons!!

During the briefing we learned that the bike route had changed from the original plan – instead of several out-and-back laps, it would now consist of a ride out to Henley, then three 20km loops round the villages, and then the ride back to Marlow.  The three loops were essential 10km long slog uphill (that gradually got steeper and steeper!), then 10km downhill!  Not quite sure I was looking forward to that, while distance wise there was equal parts up and down hill, the ups would take much longer and therefore constitute far more to the race, time-wise!  I can just about do hills, apart from very sleep, long ones such as Ditchling Beacon on the London-Brighton route, but I do prefer mainly flat!

Anyway that evening I went to Harvester for my favour pre-race carb dinner of goats cheese pasta, packed my gear then attempted a very early night.  Alarm went off stupidly early, at 3am, and it felt like I had only just got to sleep.  I had breakfast then set off, picking up Dawn on the way.  Neither of us wanted to think about how early it was or what we had planned ahead!  It didn’t take long to get to Marlow at 4.30am, so we were there over an hour before the race start and took our bikes and gear to transition.  Lots of obsessing and triple-checking everything, then it’s wetsuits on and head on down to the river.

There was about 700 people taking part, so it took a while to get everyone into the water but once in we had plenty of time to do a warm up.  I always need this, and also just to adjust my wetsuit as the thing never seems to fit properly when it’s dry.  My Garmin was taking ages to get a satellite signal though – I should have started it before we got in and then simply “paused” it until we were ready to go as it did miss off the first few seconds!  Soon – we were off.

The swim went well, although it did take a while to get settled due to there only being two waves (male then female) and all starting at once.  It wasn’t cold, and once I got going I didn’t mind it – as long as I stayed to the side and let the faster swimmers (who lapped us slow swimmers!) go past without kicking me!  I always end up with a song in my head during swimming, which had the same beat as my breathing, and this time was no different.  The whole time I had “Auld Lang Syne” going round and round in my mind!  Now, whenever I hear the song, I think about the half iron!

Next up was the bike course, the longest of the disciplines.  Knowing I had about 4 hours of riding ahead of me, I did not rush back to transition but took my time a bit more and make sure I was ready – as anything annoying such as hair not tied back properly, or Garmin too loose around my wrist, would just irritate me for the next 54 miles.  Better deal with that now than try and faff around on the bike halfway up a hill!  Half iron transitions are SO much more relaxed then the sprint triathlons – well, unless you’re in it for a trophy which I most definitely was not.  Anyway, soon I was on the bike and ready for the next 54 miles.

The bike course was quite tough – the long ride up the first half of the loop seemed to go on forever.  Even when it felt fairly flat, my times were at least 30-60 seconds slower than my usual “flat” mile splits so I was either really slow and tired, or like I expected - it was all uphill!  The downhill sections were quite fun though, long and straight, not too many tight turns to worry about.  Then it was do it all over again – twice!  By the time I reached the top of the hill during the second loop, I was really needing some energy, so I took some banana at the feed station and an energy gel – that helped a lot.  Finally I completed the last lap of the hill, there were very few riders left now and only a few people behind me.  The rear marshal on the motorbike was riding up and down between myself and a few of us, so although I know I was slow, at least I was not on my own!  It was still another 8 or so miles back to transition though, at least half an hour of riding and I was starting to hurt.  The thought of a half marathon after all of this was almost too much!

Made it back to transition and racked my bike (virtually all the bikes were back in now!) and it was so nice to get off and stretch.  My back and shoulders were really stiff from being hunched over for almost 4 hours.  No rest for the wicked though – helmet, gloves and jersey off, pick up water bottle and head out for the half marathon.  I started out really slow, my legs felt like jelly and it had become very hot.  Once I got going though, I found I could keep it up, just at a very slow, shuffling pace.  The first couple of laps were quite fun, there were still loads of people around – although most were on their third or final lap!  There was loads of banter and camaraderie among the runners, with everyone really encouraging each other along.  There were a lot of people out on the paths too, as it was all open to the public, and some were very encouraging, although many totally ignored us.  I tried to say “good morning” when I could, although I then realised it was in fact afternoon by this point – but “morning” is easier to say than “afternoon” when knackered!  It was very warm though by now and the two water stops on each lap were very much needed (I walked through these and ease the cramping muscles).  As I carried my own bottle, I gave some water to another girl who was on her final lap and really needing some liquid.  We encouraged each other on and then she finally peeled off the finish line.  We both got lots of cheers as we went back into the race village, but unfortunately for me I had to run straight past the finish line and back out the other side for a final 5k!

At long last though, I was finishing my final lap with just a few people behind me, and at last I too could turn off into the finish.  7 hours and 30 minutes after I had set off and finally it was done!  I got a lovely big medal, and collapsed on a bean bag with my energy drink and water.  It was bliss just lying there in the sun – I was finally a half-ironman!  We all clapped as the final few finishers made it through, then a started the drive back home ready for a huge pizza, ice cream and a warm bath!  I didn't see Dawn afterwards - she had other plans for afterwards, but she got a fantastic time almost two hours faster then me!

TOTAL 07:30:11


Athlete
Time
Swim
00:46:32
T1
00:05:23
Cycle
03:57:22
T2
00:02:54
Run Lap 1
00:41:21
Run Lap 2
00:39:07
Run Lap 3
00:39:00
Run total
02:37:58

No comments:

Post a Comment