Tuesday 29 January 2013

Intro Part 3: Signing up for Loch Ness


Back in early 2012, I didn’t really have any intentions of running in races or organised events.  What was the point of having to pay for, travel to, and have a set time for a run – something that I could normally do at no cost and whenever I wanted?  I was more interested in just knowing in my heart that I had run certain distances in my own time, and by mid-February I had run several solo training runs of half marathon or further.  However, I soon discovered that a race could be a lot more fun that a solo run – more people, a great environment, new routes and people cheering everyone on.  If I wanted to run a marathon, ever, I would at least want to enter some races to get some experience in running organised events, so signed up for several spring 10ks and the local half marathon.

I had still not yet make up my mind about running a marathon.  I knew I could run and improve my time for the half, without increasing my training much.  But to run a marathon would require far more commitment and I wasn’t sure if I was ready for it.  Many people encouraged me – although some thought it was a mad idea or even actively discouraged it.  Often, “would you run a full marathon?” was the first question people would ask when they found out I could run a half – but I said probably no, or at least shrug and say I wasn’t sure.  I once said to a workmate who was about to run London, straight up, that I would never run a marathon.  2 days later I had signed up for Loch Ness!

Three things made me make up my mind.  Firstly, it was the new year – marathon training season – and I knew several people getting ready for London, Milton Keynes and European marathons.  Some were running their first marathons, others had run for years.  It was very inspiring to hear about their training and the build-up for their big days – they all had different reasons for running and their own, personal challenges.  I wanted my own challenge, something big to aim for. 

Secondly, I was in the best shape I had ever been in; my fitness was good enough to manage a slow but steady 13+ miles, so if I was going to run a marathon it ought to be sooner rather than later.  If I signed up for one, it would have to be within the year (a race during the autumn season) – any later (e.g. the 2013 spring season) and I might risk losing the fitness and having to work back up again.  Or, I’d need to keep the fitness up for over a year and possibly struggle with motivation with a target so far in the future.

Finally, as a Christian, I prayed about it, and felt God's encouragement to run the marathon.  I certainly knew I would need His strength to get through some of the tough times, that was certain!!

I started to look for a marathon that met several requirements: a) it had to be in the autumn so I had enough time to train properly for it, b) it had to be easy to enter and not require a ballot or be oversubscribed, c) be held somewhere not too hot or too cold d) be located in an interesting location I wanted to visit.
Loch Ness fulfilled all of these requirements, so I made up my mind and signed up for it. 

As my friends ran their marathons, it spurred me on and gave me something to think about during my training. I went with Brian and Maria to watch the London and it a great day, although I was insanely jealous!  We spotted Alli and Shell from skydiving at mile 9, and then again at mile 24 along with Darren from work, but did not see Graham (a friend of my mum’s) who was a pace maker that year. The atmosphere was electric, the crowds unbelievably supportive – watching the runners pushing through those last year miles, cheered on by shouts of encouragement bought the odd tear to my eye!  I knew I simply had to run London in 2013, whatever it took, as well as Loch Ness. 

I trained all summer, completed 11 shorter races in the lead up, then travelled up to Inverness with my dad in late September 2012.  I ran the marathon in my target time of 5 hours 5 minutes – and have never looked back!

Sadly I did not keep a blog of my training for this race, although I have written several reports or the race itself which I will upload.  Which is why I wanted to keep one for London.  I found I had a ballot place for London just 2 days before leaving to fly up to Inverness (talk about good news to get through Loch Ness!!) and started working on my training plan soon after recovering from Loch Ness.  I’ve also signed up to various sprint-distance triathlons and the Berlin Marathon in September 2013.  It’s now less than 12 weeks til London so I’m looking at working my distance back up to 18-20 miles and also focusing a little more on speed this time as I want to get a PB.  I’ve also joined a triathlon club so have plenty of people to train with and receive coaching in each discipline.

Well that’s about it for the backstory, I will now get on with the training blog entries!

2 comments:

  1. I hadn't realised you were there with the others watching Shell and I at London. I must have been that speedy going by that you were all a bit of a blur ;) but it was so inspirational when I heard you all cheering me on.

    I lived in London for a couple of years in my late teens/early 20s and always used to watch the finish of the London Marathon at Westminster Bridge and have got great memories. It all came flooding back when we went down to watch the Olympic Marathon in August and cheered Lee Merrien and Scott Overall on. I was speaking to Brian at the AGM and we'll be back this year for sure to cheer you and the others on :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was there! It was a bit last minute (I'd come down to London straight after a 15 mile training run but did not complain about being tired as it was a doddle compared to 26.2 lol). back then I don't think we'd really been introduced yet, so i was watching out for both of you when I knew what colour vest you would be wearing! You were still looking great at mile 24! But by this point everyone's just in a their own world (I know I was) just to get through those last few miles....

      Must have been fantastic to finally run it after being able to watch it. Last year was the first time I'd gone to watch it live, although I've watched it on the TV quite a few times. Went to watch the Women's Marathon but I was away for the Men's event.

      Hope to see you there if not before! I will certainly appreciate any support!! :D

      Delete